wiring solenoid valves

R-Phil

I am trying to hook up a 2 position selector switch to control 2 2/2 way solenoid valves NC that we are adding to this old machine (Washer). The solenoid valves are burkert 120v ac (0-230 PSI).
Is there anything that I need to add to my system as far as surge suppressors or relays? The old machine has 2 solenoid valves already (Type ASCO 120v ac) and they did not use any surge suppressors nor relays. So can I wire the sol valves directly to the switch?

I would suggest placing a 140volt MOV accross the valve coil. But if your contacts are sized properly, you shouldnt have much trouble with it.

Mike.

MOVs?

I see no reason to put MOVs across solenoid coils in this instance. To operate the solenoid valves, just hook them up directly. Unless, you intend to turn the valves on and off very quickly. And doing that by hand is difficult. Sorry Mike, not to take issue with your suggestion. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Off topic

Mike, I see your icon is a P-51? Are you a pilot, or just enjoy aviation? I am a pilot myself, just curious if anyone else is a pilot too :D

Greg

Pilot or Pile It?

I do not drive airplanes, but I have done my share of Pile It-ing over the years. Pile It here, Pile It there, you know the drill. Got to admire those airplane drivers.

Unless, you intend to turn the valves on and off very quickly. And doing that by hand is difficult

No we do not intend to turn on and off quickly. What we want is when the switch is in position A sol 1 is ON and sol 2 is OFF and when the switch is in position B sol 1 is OFF and sol 2 is ON, that's it.

Yes you can wire the solenoids direct to the switch. Most switch contacts are rated at 5-10 amps and most solenoids draw in the milliamps so there should not be a problem.

Randy,

I must admit I dont know how big the coil is, or what other equipment is on the line etc... However...The idea of saving about 37 cents by opting not to install an move across an inductive load seems kinda silly to me..

Greg,

When I was a kid, (mid 60s) my Dad almost purchased a P-51D from some guy in ohio. Asking was like $29,000.00 and Pops was fixed on NO MORE then $25,000.00 so it fell through. For the fun of it I got a taxi ride in it, and was in love with them ever since. Looking back it was kinda ratty and needed a lot of work, but they go for more then 1 million today.. :( Funny thing is my Dad was blind in one eye, and couldnt pass the physical. I think he was looking for someting to work on for the rest of his life..

From this expierence I guess you could say I'm an avaiation enthusiast. I took a stab at flying lessons a Big Beaver, (walking distance from my house) but the owner died, and the property turned into a Wallmart amoung other things. 4 kids also made it inconvienent. So my flying these days is only from my desk....

When I was a 6 yer old kid, I went on a busniess trip with my parents to Fort Worth TX. We were involved in 3 major incidents, 2 aircraft were destroyed, (one by fire) and one was stuck in the mud for like a week. Call it providence but nobody died. My parents always took seperate flights, to the same locations after that so as not to chance leaving 5 orphans...

Mike, that's a candid story thanks for sharing it! :D Ya, if he'd only known then what the P-51 would have been worth now! Do you ever get to Oshkosh for the airshow? That's a great time, although I haven't been there in 4 years or so, before that I went every year since I was 12. My dad was a flight instructor, and owned an airplane....made it convenient to fly and get my license.....since then I've had kids (you're correct in making it inconvenient for flying). I have aspirations of building, sometime within the next 10 years or so, there are a lot of great kit planes out there....the Glasair sure is nice!

Greg

Greg,

Just about the time I met my wife, (11 years ago) I was counting my nickles and dimes for a Thunder Mustang . I have about 30,000 sq ft with a full machine shop and TWO really good machinest with some time on their hands now and then, and since I was single....plenty of time myself. Problems got in the way..Local FBO closed, Thunder Mustang folded, My Busniess got real brisk. Then the new wife took ALL my nickles and dimes, sold my little 900 sq ft ranch and bought a 3000 sq ft house on a 1/2 acre lot and popped 4 rugrats and sent them to private schools. :( I'm still holding my breath....

Anyway, the other day I setteled for a RC P-51 from Radio Shack. Trust me, it's much easier to fly the real thing... I'm workin on it...

Mike:

When I was a 6 yer old kid, I went on a busniess trip with my parents to Fort Worth TX. We were involved in 3 major incidents, 2 aircraft were destroyed, (one by fire) and one was stuck in the mud for like a week. Call it providence but nobody died. My parents always took seperate flights, to the same locations after that so as not to chance leaving 5 orphans...

Locally, around 1960, there was a large contractor who travlled extensively, and he and his wife always took seperate flights. Growing up 90 miles west of chicago and watching Chi TV, it seemed like there was a plane crash every week at O'Hare. Anyway, Mrs. H flew home one day, and 'ol JP was coming in the next day. The boys at the local Motorola shop just installed the radios in all his vehicals, and took his car up to meet him, and drive him back. They waited, and waited, and waited. No one knew to contact them. Since he was a mutil-millionair, there was a wrongful death suit of somekind. It was the first multi-million dollar settlement ever in a plane crash. Good mone in '60.

His wife just passed away, and the Frank Lloyd Wright style home overlooking the Illinois River on a nice hill of 20 acres has been for sale for several years at $1,100,000.00. Not bad, considering the average wage around here is $6.80 hour.

40 plus years later, for whatever reason, we do have an extremely nice airport, and Rusty Wallace flies his jet in once in a while to visit some of the locals.

Speaking of rusty Wallace, let's get this thread in another direction....beer!

regards.....casey

elevmike said:
Randy,

I must admit I dont know how big the coil is, or what other equipment is on the line etc... However...The idea of saving about 37 cents by opting not to install an move across an inductive load seems kinda silly to me..

What would you be protecting? A selector switch?

Rick Densing said:
What would you be protecting? A selector switch?

It's not the selector switch I'm concerned about, it's the other "unmentioned" stuff that may be on the same power supply..If there are NO electronics in the application then the MOV may not be necessary..

Casy, So it appears that my parents were't so parinoid after all...

Mike.

Last edited:
Re: Off topic

GregPLC said:
Mike, I see your icon is a P-51? Are you a pilot, or just enjoy aviation? I am a pilot myself, just curious if anyone else is a pilot too :D

Greg

Hey Greg, For what its worth, I'm a pilot (hence the name!) But on the downside- I sold my Arrow last year. More expensive than wives and kids!! Once the kids are off to college we'll do it again.
Great fun but it was strictly recreational and hard to justify. Hows about you? What do ya fly?
Mike