Software

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
What do you think about Rockwell software for sale on Ebay?

It seems like Too good of a deal :rolleyes:

Please don't think I have anything to do with this auction. I just happen to run accross it.

What I think is that Rockwell should find the people selling these packages and prosecute them. They are all pirated copies, the real versions are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
How does it affect us here you ask? Well, we all pay money for our software packages which is a business cost. We are then competing against anyone who has a notebook and a spare $185.
Regards Alan Case

The seller has been selling AB bundles since March 2004. Click on the sellers name and you get the "feedback" (none negitive yet). Click on the items that the feedbacks are about and you'll see that it's all the same bundle. Also note that all the auctions are "private"..Why's that?

I have to be suspicious about this. It gives the distinct appearance that the seller is selling illegal copies. Question is how is AB software authorized? If it's all the same keycode that'll eventually lead to big trouble for both the seller and buyers.

Everything has a price....

Looks like a good deal to me

My company just paid 2500 for that package from Mc & Mc, I think Rockwell rips us all off anyway we all use their products every day and they charge use thousands for the software, and have to renew the lic every year, They are making a killing on all of the product lines any way. the software should be free to the end users like us.

Do you turn up to work every day for free. Of course you don't so why should a company give their product away. Regards Alan

elitheei,

If you dont like the pricing for the software you have a choice to spec and use some other brand PLC, like many of us do, (including myself). There are plenty of other manufactures that make PLCs that are just as capable as AB with inexpensive sofware packages.

Personally I dont think the approperate answer is to obtain an illegale copy.

This question has been asked before here. Looks like they did a crackdown a few months ago but this one seller seems to get aways with it.
registration nontransferable

One of the past seller had this feedback:

"Ripoff, all copies"

Seller Response

"What do you expect for such a good price"

--------
Not the exact words, of course, but close.

The "private" auction is a good indication of something fishy. As with all stuff on eBay, there is good deals but buyer (and seller) beware.

IMO: it's way past time for Rockwell to make a "learning" version of the software w/o downloading ability.

For a while, RSI put an end to this piracy with the EBay "Recognized Rights Owner" program (or whatever it's called, to prevent selling of pirate software).

Seems like this pirate didn't get the memo.

What I think of it is that if you purchase it, you're buying stolen property.

It's theft, just like it was last year and will be next year.

Ken brings up a good point.

While I personally don't know anyone or any company I was associated with that had a software audit, it could happen.

While I don't neccessarily like AB pricing on software,I sure don't believe in buying the pirated stuph.

As far as eBay, it would be too easy for governmental types to track if they wanted.

If'n it don't come with transfer rights, or "dongle" as case may be, then you as well off standing in a foot of water with no shoes on working on a 277 volt light fixture live.

regards.....casey

Yes, the upfront cost is expensive and the yearly support is a pain too. But what are you going to do? My customer is not going to change the spec in all of the plants because I don't like the license cost.

Grin and bear it I guess.

Last edited:
Hey Look at that!
The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale.

It must have been time to Cut & Run?

Well I can only hope my post expedited that process.
:p

kc9ih said:
While I don't neccessarily like AB pricing on software,I sure don't believe in buying the pirated stuph.

Paying for pirated software?

OK, so it's still stolen AND you've got a credit card receipt. That sounds really smart.

When it will come to an end ...

is when these folks come to ask for technical help on the and the software is not reg, that a problem. My point earlier was mistaken, I feel like people here are in the attack mode some times ... I would not hurt AB to come down on the price on the software. I worked for an end user for 20 years and we paid out the a$$ for the "rights" to use AB and others software ... now I work for an Intergrator ... they sell a "toolkit for a 10th of the price I was paying ... to an intergrator, they should offer this to everyone. I don't know if this stuff on Ebay is stolen, copied, brought in fron Japan, or found in the trash .... I have no idea ... All I know is AB price is high and us guys out there using thier products everyday could use some help on the price!