Foudation Field Bus

From my understanding it's the devicenet of the process/analog world. A network designed to replace the traditional 4-20mA signal and provide enhanced device diagnostics and programming ability.

In the one project I've used it on I would rather have seen 4-20mA, though.

More info is here .

Foundation Fieldbus is a lot like Controlnet. The protocol taylors its messages to each device, which means you'll need a set of "drivers" for any equipment you install. In the Allen-Bradley world, they call these EDS files. I'm sure that any data files you need will be readily available to you when you purchase FF enabled equipment. This would probably not be a good protocol to use for PLC messaging.

If you want to learn more about the protocol itself, the fieldbus foundation has a web site. I don't know it off the top of my head, but its something like fieldbus.org. There is a good overview on the web site. You might also consider looking up "H1," which I'm told is an alias name for Fieldbus.

AK

I just finished my first project using FF. I used Rosemount sensors, Fisher valves, and a National Instruments PCI card. I read and write values through OPC. It works good. It took a little bit of playing around with the NI configurator to see how things work plus a little bit of manual reading, but after that it was all down hill.

The one thing I didn't like was the price tag on everything. It was a little steep.

FF has alot of functionality, PID, etc. However, in my application I am not using half of the capability that FF provides. I mainly used it because the HART instruments were too slow.

The only complaint I now have is the NI OPC Server takes for ever to establish itself with the FF network on power-up. After that everything has been flawless.

The H1 refers to the FF network at the sensor/actuator level. The HSE refers to FF High Speed Ethernet. They sell gateways to convert HSE to H1. I originally had ordered one of these but NI couldn't deliver so I went with the PCI card.

I mainly used it because the HART instruments were too slow.

Gerry, (if you're still around a year later)

Hart was too slow for what?
What were you trying to accomplish that Hart didn't do fast enough?

Dan

Hello baski;

One of the best sites I have found for web-based training on FF is on Emerson's webpages:
http://plantweb.emersonprocess.com/university/

I highly recommend it to anyone who requires basic practical knowledge of FF. It offers gradual immersion in the vocabulary, hardware and software setup of the fieldbus, with expanding complexity. So you can get as deep as you need.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Too slow of a total sample time.

I could get a fast enough sample if each hart device was on its own channel to my PC, but not on one network, I have 4 sensors typically. I want about 1/2 sec. updates.

Then FF came out and established itself, so I decided to try that instead. It has worked flawless for me for the past 6 months or so, plenty fast. But like I said a steep price tag.

My application is automatic pump testing.

thanks for the feedback, Gerry. I had no idea what sort of PV response Hart could or couldn't provide.Dan