DLR Configuration 1756-EN2TR with Field 1783-EATP

prakasha

Hi Guys,

I am doing a project that involves a Ring Configuration with 1756-EN2TR with Field Fiber Device 1783-ETAP2F and 1783-ETAP1F. I am not much familiar with the ring configuration. I have attached the network architecture images for your ref. kindly suggest me how better we can do the ring configuration for this network and how to do it. Soon we are going to Run the system.so If I get clear idea I can take the trail. Thanks in advance

If anybody online please share details along with Ring configuration steps...

DLR_IMAGE.JPG

Last edited:
You need to enable supervisor on EN2TR and/or any ETAPs.
Most likely EN2TR will be enough since no other controllers are present.
make sure that you have multimode fiber.
Read Rockwell publication ENET-AT007

Sorry, Actually It is 17 Slot Chassis But in Pic I have Shown only 7 Slot Chassis and there are 3 controllers in the same Chassis. in this case should I go for EN2TR as a Supervisor or Both ETAPs which shown near by EN2TR or only ETAP will be enough

My personal opinion is that one supervisor on EN2TR as a primary should be enough, because if this module is gone, IO control will be lost anyway.
However, there is nothing wrong with setting a couple of ETAPs in addition to EN2TR as backups.
With Fiber you may need to adjust default Beacon parameters too if having network stability issues, but I can't advise you on that. I believe that calculations for fiber are published in the ODVA spec.

Another concern is if one EN2TR module has a sufficient bandwidth to handle load from multiple controllers. Rockwell IAB can help you with calculations.

On top of Contr_Cons's advice, I would suggest that the beacon settings for DLR supervisor and backup supervisor be set at half of the minimum RPI (requested packet interval) setting for the adapters in the scan list.
Edit: I changed the picture you sent slightly. This is what you wold need to have a ring.

20230512_DLR_Setting.png

Last edited:
But ETAP1F Does not have 2 Fiber ports to connect the Loop and I was running shortage of two fiber Port EATPs that is why I used 1F two devices at the end to close the ring and connect back to EN2TR through Copper port of them.

Post 7 picture is incorrect, kind of from the "I wish" world: 1756-EN2F has only one Fiber port, it can't be connected to the DLR directly.

Post 6 picture: I assume typo with part number, should be ETAP2F, while it's legal, it brings the critical single point of failure that makes DLR pointless.

I personally would select OP architecture instead of both solutions offered.

Post 7 picture is incorrect, kind of from the "I wish" world: 1756-EN2F has only one Fiber port, it can't be connected to the DLR directly.
Sorry about this and thanks for clarifying. I should have verified that the 1756-EN2F has only one fiber port.

Post 6 picture: I assume typo with part number, should be ETAP2F, while it's legal, it brings the critical single point of failure that makes DLR pointless.
Correct, the picture has a typo. And yes, it is pointless from a DLR point of view.

I personally would select OP architecture instead of both solutions offered.
I see, there is a difference between 1783-ETAP-1F and 1783-ETAP-2F. For the former the ring has 1 side fiber and other side copper. I agree the original post is the correct one for this use case. I have learned a lot from this post. Thanks for the corrections to my post.

5094 Flex5000 platform is a modern replacement for 1794.
5094 Adapters support copper and SFPs that allow to use fiber directly without ETAPs at speeds up to 1Gbps with single and multimode fiber.
However, 5094 IO can be controlled by the 5580/5380 controller only.
Also to get 1GBps speed, EN2TR should be replaced with EN4TR.