LIDAR SENSOR - with Field bus for PLC

mad4x4

Looking for a LIDAR sensor (2d) that we can use with a Siemens PLC for measurement, Would like to interface directly with 4-20mA or a Field bus protocol (Profinet/Profibus) Who has used what.

Lidar need to detect and measure distance to a 76mm metal object which moves is a vertical plane (XZ) and could be up to 5 m from the face of the lidar

'2D' implies that you want a sensor that can detect a profile.
But what you describe appears to be a laser distance sensor (arguably '1D').
Which one is it ?

No will need to be 2D as the object and move up and down (z axis) and also closer and away from sensor (x axis) .

it is the measurement of the Distance from the sensor we need (x Axis)

Let's leave the semantic question of 1D vs. 2D alone for a bit (although I agree with @JesperMP based on what we know so far).

Please permit me to pull some teeth here:

This 3" metal object that is up to 16'+ from the sensor in/along the X dimension/axis: does its position in/along the Z dimension/axis exceed a range of 3" (76mm)?

You say it is the X position measurement that you need; does that mean the PLC already "knows" the Z position of the object at any given time?

What controls the Z position of the object?

Last edited:
As far as I understand it now:
There is an object that can be anywhere in a plane.
The distance from a fixed spot in the same plane to the object is to be measured.
That does sound as a LIDAR.