Difference between PLC and Softlogic Controller

Philippe

I saw this controller this morning and I come here with a question.

What's the difference between a PLC ans a Softlogic Controller?

Is it that a Softlogic controller cannot work alone like a PLC, he work by a software?

Thanx
Phil

Hmm..Let me try to answer your question.
I read it in a manual somewhere:
A typical PLC (programmable logic controller) or the traditional term for a PLC is a hardware, in the form of industrialized boards that are mounted on rank with a backpanel.
The modern way to program the PLC (to make them come alive) is sometimes termed as softlogic, or soft PLC. A soft PLC is a program (or to me, is called a task) that runs on an ordinary computer that mimics the operation of a standard PLC.
I hope my answer is correct..and I appeal to the seniors here (me being a rookie): did I answer correctly? Where are my mistakes? Do correct me.

regards
Sherine T.

Hum... I think they will call that somekind of distributed I/O runned by a PC. But if I check the price, I think your right. And they didn't metion if it have a cpu in it, so it's somekind of an interface.

Do I'm right?

the way that most people use the term "soft controller" or "soft PLC" is in reference to a SOFTWARE package ... this software runs on a regular PC (either office or industrial strength) ... the software makes the PC "think" that it is a PLC ... the term "soft" PLC refers to the fact that it's only SOFTware - not HARDware ... you can actually program this "soft PLC" with ladder logic ... since there is no "local" hardware rack, all of the field I/O is usually run into a communications card (with Allen-Bradley this is often a 1784-KTX or 1784-PKTX, etc. card) with a network cable ...

that should get you going ...

Ok but if you look at the link that I posted, it's something hardware, so it will be a a software which have some loggic in it, and it run the hardware thing??

you're right ... in looking at the link you posted above, I'll admit that I'm not 100% sure that the definition I've given above fits what they're talking about ... I'm seeing HARDware - but they're calling it a "SOFTLOGIC" controller ... maybe some of our other members have worked with or seen this thing before ... it's a new one on me ...

First I thought it was Rockwell Automations "SoftLogix", but then I checked your link.

It is a hybrid between the "regular" PLC and the PC based Soft PLCs that run on Windows platforms. It runs ROM-DOS with an Intel x86 CPU.
The PLC part of the controller executes the IEC 1131-3 code with an interpreter. Because the CPU is so fast, it probably works quite well.

The advantage is that the manufacturer can tap into the cheap and powerful hardware components from the PC world.
The disadvantage is that the PLC is just as proprietary as a "classic" PLC.

edit: The most interesting is that it can execute DOS code developed with with Borland C v3.0. Someone probably can use this to make his own functions.

Last edited:
from Jesper:

First I thought it was Rockwell Automations "SoftLogix", but then I checked your link.

yeah ... me too ...

I’m just wondering what it would be like to get called in on an “emergency-plant-down–PLC-service-call” and run head-on into this beast ... it’s probably not too bad once you get into it, but it sure looks like it could eat up a lot of “getting acquainted” time for someone who’d never even seen one before ... has anybody actually worked on (or even seen) one of these things in real life?

To run the IEC1131-3 code on your 486 PC, would require you to get the interpreter that is in the ROM on the Softlogic PLC.
It cannot run by itself from DOS on your 486 PC.

That's why I love this forum so much. I learn a lot from here. So a softlogic controller is just a typical PLC (the hardware) programmed by a software (hence the term: softlogic) run from a PC, for example.
Makes me think it's just a new term to rename the new-and-improved PLC products.

regards
Sherine T.

I don't think so Jolio.

The hardware (which is like a plc) seem not to have a cpu in it. So it runned by the software IN A PC which have logic in it. I think it's the real function, the real meaning of THIS softlogic controller.

I would compare it to a GE Fanuc Versamax I/O interface that is run by PROFICY logic developper PC and I think I'm not wrong, do I?

Last edited:
Ron Beaufort said:
I’m just wondering what it would be like to get called in on an “emergency-plant-down–PLC-service-call” and run head-on into this beast ... it’s probably not too bad once you get into it, but it sure looks like it could eat up a lot of “getting acquainted” time for someone who’d never even seen one before ...

I don't think it would be too shocking. I found this quote in a higher level of the product tree:
The ADAM-5510 and ADAM-5511 are compact, stand-alone controllers with an Intel® x86-based CPU running Datalight® ROM-DOS. Programmers can use C/C++ to write and compile applications in Inprise (Borland) Turbo C and download them to the ADAM-5510/5511.
It sounds like the thing is essentially a single-board PC with IO, a PLC with an x86 brain. The newer versions are IEC1131, so the learning curve probably isn't too steep!

AK

Moin all,

instead of using an IEC 61131-3 interpreter you can have compiled code on your standard PC or PC104 or else.

Look at www.61131.com
There is a complete programming environment. Free for educational purposes.

regards
Friedrich Haase