What is the difference between SCADAPack and PLC? Recommendations about SCADAPack.

pml_28

Hi All,

I am starting a project that contains RTU from SCADAPack 474. However, I have no experience with this equipment, I am familiar with Rockwell Automation and Siemens controllers. What is the main difference between a SCADAPack 474 and a PLC?

Also, I saw here on the forum that it is possible to use different software to program these RTU's? Which one is recommended? And is the license free? I accept any tips or recommendations regarding the SCADAPack equipment!

thanks.

The SCADAPack classifies itself as an RTU because historically it had more communications capabilities than most PLCs. The ones I used programmed in ladder logic in Modicon format using their own software.

Thanks for the answers guys.

About the application is for a telemetry system that will be installed on a tower at sea. The recommendation to use SCADAPack is due to low power consumption and have some certifications that are requirements for the application.

The system is responsible for monitoring sensors and controlling solenoid valves. My main question is, is it possible to develop a program to control solenoid valves, monitor sensors, and generate alarms using only SCADAPack?

The word RTU makes me understand that it works by reading/sending messages from a "central" (which can be a PLC) and reading inputs and activating outputs. But the control logic is running on a computer or a PLC. However, looking at SCADAPack it seems that it allows to go beyond this, allowing the implementation of control logics, for example. Am I correct?

Todays so called RTU are more capable logic wise as the PLC decades ago. There's nothing you listed that couldn't be done with a SCADAPack.

Another popular system for the type of application you are talking about are the systems from Campbell Scientific. They are very commonly used for remote site viewing like river gauges. Typically, they are powered by solar cell and a local battery. However, I don't think their logic engine is as powerful as the SCADAPack.

You can program the SCADAPack with Telepace Studio or ControlExpert/Unity Pro. Either will be able to do what you want. I believe you have to order the controller with the executive that will match your programming tool (at least you used to have to do that).

The SCADAPack is very flexible. It has lots of add-on I/O modules, backup battery UPS systems, etc. available. I did a lot of local pump control and such with them. Anything you can do with a PLC you can do with a SCADAPack. I haven't used them for a while, but back in the day, I found their tech support to be excellent.

You can program the SCADAPack with Telepace Studio or ControlExpert/Unity Pro. Either will be able to do what you want. I believe you have to order the controller with the executive that will match your programming tool (at least you used to have to do that).

That is true for 300 series RTUs. The 57x and 47x are only Programmable using Remote Connect.

To the OP - you can definitely have control logic running on the SCADAPack that is not reliant on communication with a central server to operate. Your application sounds well within the capabilities of the 474.

Put it this way... I imported all my custom function blocks from Unity Pro, into remote connect, and everything worked as expected. It's basically the same as their PLC range, you just don't have high speed IOScanner or Motion Control.

Download RemoteConnect and have a look.