driving 7 seg led displays

mpiotro

Hi folks,
in my application, I will be using 4x 7 segment led displays.
Hardware is a DL-06 (with appropriate exp i/o).
Now, I was prepared to wire each segment as a separate output, and then utilize the directsoft command for 7 segment displays.

A colleague told me I could reduce the # of outputs required, by using a 7 seg driver. I think I found such a thing here:

-->http://www.marktechopto.com/PDFs/Toshiba/ACF431.pdf

Looking at this, I think the driver works by receiving its input as serial data. Pending what binary# is sent, it then lights up the appropriate segment.

My problem is that I am using port 2 of the plc to communicate with a vb application.

I am not sure if I can use port 1 to send the serial data required by the 7 seg driver.

I guess my question is if there is an easier (not more expensive) way to do this, or have I got the just of the situation.

My gut feel is to skip the driver and just wire the outputs to the segments. There's only 4 (no possibility of more req'd), and the expansion modules for the Dl-06 are quite inexpensive.

Any direction/advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

shame, shame Mike

Thanks Eric.

This provides me with the info I need, and shows the many ways of skinning this cat.

Geez, Now that you've provided the link, I think I recall seeing this info before...D'Oh!!
Oh well, I could have done worst. I could have put everything in my post in caps and given a deadline of tomorrow ....

-Mike

4 digits by 7 segments = 0-9999 or 10000 Binary or whatever..that's a lot of I/O (like 10). I'm still waiting for a comm. option module for this -06 thing.. I'm currently stuck in a sitiation where I need to communacte with two D0-06s and a modem. Likely will have to use port one of the master for the modem.

What's the communication type/protocol with the VB app? Maybe you can use a small HMI like an EZ text on the same comm bus??

Mike,

I'm still designing this, but I intend to use non-sequence protocol to send/receive ascii strings to and from the vb app.

Yeah, I hear you on the ez text display. I thought about this for awhile, but the only info I need to convey is digits, and I can get nice 1" 7 seg led's from lumex quite cheaply

--> http://www.lumex.com/product.asp?id=1006068

I know the ez text is quite cheap, but you wouldn't believe how scrutinizng the bean counters are here. My time/effort is essentially free. They've got the blinders on for component costs only.....

elevmike said:

What's the communication type/protocol with the VB app? Maybe you can use a small HMI like an EZ text on the same comm bus??

Mike,

I checked this out on the AD forum. Yes, it is possible to hook up either the DV-1000 display, or one of the optimate ones, while still utilizing port 2 for other interfacing. Both DV-1000 and Optimate connect via port 1, and in my application with the DL06 I'll be using port 2 (ascii in/out) to interface with the vb ap.

I particularily like the DV-1000 solution, as it is programmed all thru the ladder logic (no other software required). This is a nice solution, as I don't need any outputs now for displays, and I can also put text messages as well (not to mention there are programmable keypad buttons).

-Mike