Control Logix processor

vbsk

V
Hello . i have gone through manuals of PLC-2,3.For reading IO values we can use addressing like I:1/2(input)etc.. In Case of Control Logix PLC, whether same addressing can be use eg. I:1/2(input) O:1/2(output)..?

Additionaly would like to know what are the file types control logix supports?

Appreciate you answers!!!!

:)

Here's the short answer: The ControlLogix has no data tables, so none of the "old" A-B file types are recognised. As there are no data tables (at least no predefined ones, you call them whatever you want to) the I/O are no longer in I and O filess. The address format is very different, the modules send more that I/O information to the CPU and output modules have inputs associated with them.

Logix5000 allows you to import "old-style" code from PLC/SLC and convert it into something that looks similar but doing this ignores some of the CLX's best features.

I'm sure that you're goint to get plenty more advice from the forum :)

is this what you're looking for? ...

Greetings vbsk,

see if this helps get you started ...

[attachment]

first example ...

Local = in the same chassis with the processor
1 = slot number 1 in the chassis
I = input
Data = as opposed to “fault” information, etc.
1 = bit number 1

second example ...

Local = in the same chassis with the processor
2 = slot number 2 in the chassis
O = output
Data = as opposed to “fault” information, etc.
3 = bit number 3

and don’t forget to register on the forum ...

5kio.jpg

Don't do the import of a slc/plc. I did that on my first clx program and it was messy. I agree that ignores the best features of the new tag naming conventions. Take the time to learn how to do it from scratch rather than importing.

Don't fret too much about this......

While the ControlLogix does not have the standard data files you are used to, they do have all of the same data types plus a lot more. Ron gave you an excellent example of addressing.

One of the benefits is that you can create a tag with whatever name you choose. You can create a tag named: REJECT_COUNTER. When you define the tag you tell it the name and type (counter). So you do not have the pre-formatted addresses/tags. You create them and call them whatever you like.

With your I/O you have the base tag (illustrated by Ron) plus you can also assign an alias. So you might have a base tag of : LOCAL:2:I.Data.5 but you can assign an alias such as: Line5_Limit_Leading_Edge (or a name that makes more sense to you!).

The alias tag points back to the base tag. The alias is stored in the controller so you can upload the project and get the names, unlike symbols in PLC/SLC.

Contact your local rep and get a demo disk to play around with.

OG

Also as far as having a data table you really still do.

If you create a tag called i.e. Timer_Alarms[50]

Then you have 50 alarm timers that will be sitting in a tree format in your tag database that you can expand and look at all of the current values. It is actually pretty cool.

The data table is now called controller tags, and program tags. Every tag in the project will be found in one of them. It has a new name and look, but is easy to get the feel for. Also one thing to note, if you have an HMI program that is accessing the PLCs in question you will have some trouble with the decimal/octal thing. If you use the conversion utility provided it will take all of the octal addressing and line it up as decimal values. What once was a 10, is now an 8 and so on... This throws the entire tag base off. One way around it is to copy each rack as 8 words of data into a table then make alias points with your old address pointing to the copied points. If your PLC code isn’t too large, and you have time I highly recommend rewriting the program using ControlLogix tagging. This will save many headaches in the future. If you don’t do this during the upgrade, you will wish you had after dealing with a messy database for a year or so.

Regards,
Charlie