Can AB do the commissioning fast as Siemens ?

coa

Hi,

I wonder in case we have to add new function to existing Allen-Bradley PLC (every kind of model) for machine or process which unable to stop , can we just go online and download new function (subroutine) and make a call from main program like Siemens PLC ?
I used to modified SLC by online and modified each rung (too long time). I though AB should have trick to be faster for commissioning.

Dont know about ControlLogix but for PLC5 and SLC500 it is like you describe it. If you dont want to switch the PLC into PROG mode, then you have to do it with online edits.

But rather than making the edits one rung at a time, you can paste a whole file full of rungs into an existing file.
And you can delete all the eisting rungs in a file.
Both the pasted rungs and the deletion of the rungs will only be active when you chose to "test edits".
That brings you the effect of overwriting an existing file without going to PROG mode..

Its a little bit more cumbersome than Siemens, but it is useful enough.

Sawadee Krup coa,

I forgot to mention one thing:
Online editing in AB is so smooth that I have almost stopped making edits offline.
Apart from the initial creation of the program body, I prefer to go online and make my changes, even if they are substantial.

Kopkun Krup. :)

Sawadee Krup Jesper,

I will try what you told, it makes my life much easier.

You are not only excellent in IQ but EQ too.

Kopkun Krup.