Lifetime Supporting Member
These were here when I showed up in 1991
... 31 years ago

Allen Bradley SLC 100.
.. Programmed with a hand loader

Allen Bradley PLC 5/20
... I think it had a couple of DOS floppy's

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.jpg

Those enclosures are amazingly clean and the wire colors aren't faded horribly bad. Props to the employees there for not stringing wires everywhere and leaving the doors cracked. My facility has a PLC 2 still chugging along, and a handful of PLC 5. Sadly, many cabinets here look like they were assembled by blind ogres with no fingers.

Seeing stuff like that just makes me appreciate that much more on where I work and the hardware/software (which is mostly latest-greatest) that I get to play with everyday. Because, I have absolutely zero (0) interest in going anywhere where I might have to work with outdated, archaic stuff. :ROFLMAO:

These were here when I showed up in 1991
... 31 years ago

Allen Bradley SLC 100.
.. Programmed with a hand loader

Allen Bradley PLC 5/20
... I think it had a couple of DOS floppy's

I worked at a water utility out west for 11 years (2000 to 2010) and when I started there were 2 SLC 150's running air compressors at a pumping station that used mostly natural gas fired V-12 Waukashas for pumping. I think the SLC's had analog expansion modules; seemed like there had to be a way to get status and pressures back to SCADA.
I worked at a cement plant here local in '17 that had 4 PLC 5/40's. There were also the remnants of a PLC2 in the shop that we still used parts of for a lab. The other electrician had a picture of him putting the tape in the drive to run the plant for the shift.

Seeing stuff like that just makes me appreciate that much more on where I work and the hardware/software (which is mostly latest-greatest) that I get to play with everyday. Because, I have absolutely zero (0) interest in going anywhere where I might have to work with outdated, archaic stuff. :ROFLMAO:
Just wait another 30 years, and you will be asked to go back to 'your' PLC and fix some problem on it.

We pretty much have the latest & greatest on all new projects

Tesla is touted as one of the highest tech factories in the world
... But when I went there I saw that they still have
... Allen Bradley PLC 2's dragging the cars down the assembly line

... GUI has been updated of course
... but the PLC2's all still work quite well

... The factory is 1963 vintage & used to be the General Motors
... Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, & Pickup Truck plant

Not much really archaic about some 30 year old panels as far as software goes

I use much of the the same code structure that I used back then
... Of I course take advantage of newer things like UDT's

Running an entire plant with only 100k of memory
... Teaches you how to abstract things to a high level

... This makes scaling up to very large systems much more organized & efficient

Most programs I open theses days are filled with an endless amount of bloat

Either the programs are not thought out before hand,
... the programmer is lazy, inexperienced or under pressure to kick something quickly

... Of which I have been/done all of the above :)

Programming while the project is not fully defined & I/O constantly changing is the worse case

Managers try to throw more people on a project to speed it up
... They never seem to understand that

... It takes 1 woman 9 months to make a baby
... 9 women cannot make a baby in 1 month

It actually takes more man hours because you will have
... 9 people in a hurry doing 9 styles of PLC programming & 9 styles of GUI programming
... stepping all over each other leaving a big mess in the end

... from experience

Managers try to throw more people on a project to speed it up
... They never seem to understand that

... It takes 1 woman 9 months to make a baby
... 9 women cannot make a baby in 1 month

It actually takes more man hours because you will have
... 9 people in a hurry doing 9 styles of PLC programming & 9 styles of GUI programming
... stepping all over each other leaving a big mess in the end

Brooks's Law: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later."

The other electrician had a picture of him putting the tape in the drive to run the plant for the shift.

That would be a good photo...

First PLC I ever saw was at the same Blommer Chocolate plant in Union City CA as the photos I just posted.

It was a GE Fanuc for the waste water system

You programmed it with a cassette tape recorder somehow,
It took 20 minutes to download if you wanted to flip one bit

I was an electrician @ the time @ never got to play with it
many years later I swapped it for a SLC 5/05

Another place I worked HMT Technologies in Fremont had the same PLC
but it had 4 or 5 colors

It was something like:

CPU = gray = GE
Input card = yellow = Koyo
Output card = turquoise = Siemens
Analog Card Black = Automation Direct

I forget what all was plugged in
Pretty cool, wish I had a picture

4 or 5 different brands of software doing the exact same thing

Learning that all the companies sold the same exact parts under different labels
saved the plant down time one day when GE Input card was a 1 week lead but Automation Direct had it on the shelf

Last edited:
We pretty much have the latest & greatest on all new projects

Tesla is touted as one of the highest tech factories in the world
... But when I went there I saw that they still have
... Allen Bradley PLC 2's dragging the cars down the assembly line
The PLC-2 was most likely put in there by some old guy close to retirement, and put it in there because that's what he knew, way back when Tesla was just a little start up company and toying around with the idea of making cars work on battery power :ROFLMAO:
EDIT: Wasn't aware that the plant was making cars before that. Obviously a holdover piece of hardware from an earlier time. The stuff is robust and works, but still outdated and archaic.

Tesla has reached out to me at least 3-4 times over the past two years because they apparently are looking for CE's with experience in technologies such as .NET, Python, OOP, TwinCAT... At least that is the impression they have given me, through correspondence with them and the job postings they've sent me. In fact, a job posting they sent me specifically read in big bold letters "MUST HAVE extensive TwinCAT-3 experience...". I'm sure they have older hardware in places, no doubt. But in new facilities/projects/production lines? No.

... GUI has been updated of course
... but the PLC2's all still work quite well
That older hardware is robust and it does work!! No denying that. But then again, what "works" for one, might not work at all for the other.

Ten years ago, I worked for a chemical processing plant for a few years. The plant was designed in the mid to late 80's, so they were rolling with PLC-3 and PLC-5 throughout. It was my first go with that hardware and the software. Painful as hell going backward to that stuff, in more ways than one, but I learned it and it wasn't all that bad after a while. I had an interview at DOW Chemical around that time too, and I learned in that interview they are still using control hardware from the 1960's in some places in the plant!! They showed me that at the interview and in my mind I was thinking "Ehhh.....No". God knows they have all the $$$ you could ask for in a controls upgrade, but they can't shut the process down to make the upgrade. Nothing lasts forever. Eventually they'll have to bite the bullet.

Where I'm at now and the stuff we're doing? Well, we can't get a Controllogix platform to do what we need it to do, let alone a PLC-2, PLC-3, or PLC-5.

Last edited:
You must be at the Fremont plant. Both my 1968 GTO and 2016 Tesla were made there.

That is pretty cool!!

Possible both frames were drug through the same conveyor
1968 was still a few years before the AB PLC 2 came out in the 80's

Wonder what they had back in 68.
Simple relay logic or some kind or controller?