Siemens S5-100u Question

denisps2

Hello!

Can someone tell my if I need a programmer of some kind to transfer the program from my PC to the PLC, or can i do this wiht the cable that i have whitch connets the pc and the plc.
The PLC is a siemens S5-100U

Denis!

All what you need is your pc and the programmer-cable. You connect one side of the cable with the PG-port on the s5-100U and the other side with your pc. Sometimes you need to swith COM-port from com1 to com2. You can do this by pluging your cable to another com-port or by changing the settings of your S5-project. Further more you need to make an online-connection. This last thing is also something what you need to do inside your project settings.

If it is a socalled Siemens "PG", then there will be an integrated TTY programming port. Beware that it looks like a parallel port (25-pin female D-shell).
Newer Siemens "Field PCs" do not have the TTY port for programming S5 PLCs.

If it is a standard PC, then you will need the serial cable with a TTY converter 6ES5734-1BD20.

If your PC is so new that it does not have a serial port, then there are several 3rd party suppliers of USB/TTY converters: IBH , MHJ and others.