DL06 support Terminator I/O?

Terminator I/O can be a slave on any of several networks. The only network master capability I see for the DL06 is Modbus RTU. I wouldn't recommend that for real-time control applications. I can't tell for sure if the DL06 ECOM module can control Terminator I/O through the T1H-EBC interface.

AD may have plans for network master modules for the DL06, but they don't appear to be available yet.

Thanks, I've not used any remote I/O w/DL06. So, if I use port 2 as the mbus master do I simply reguest data from the terminator base and map the data into local registers? I'm sure it's not quite so easy but is that the gist of it?

Jim

As the Modbus master, your DL06 will have to read the discrete inputs from the from the Terminator I/O, then write to the discrete Outputs. If you have analog inputs and outputs, you'll have to add an additional read of the analog inputs and an additional write to registers.

It might take several PLC scans between sending a 'Read Inputs' command and getting the response from the Terminator I/O. The time between actuating a switch wired to a Terminator input and turning on a solenoid wired to a Terminator output in response will be significantly longer with Modbus RTU than with DeviceNet or Profibus. That's why I cautioned against using RTU for machinery control.

Depending on your application, you might want to consider looking into networking serveral DL06s. The last time I looked at it the cost of each slave I/0 was dramaticly less using the DL06, or even dl05 as slaves then going with the Terminator.

Just another possable option.

Steve Bailey said:
As the Modbus master, your DL06 will have to read the discrete inputs from the from the Terminator I/O, then write to the discrete Outputs. If you have analog inputs and outputs, you'll have to add an additional read of the analog inputs and an additional write to registers.

It might take several PLC scans between sending a 'Read Inputs' command and getting the response from the Terminator I/O. The time between actuating a switch wired to a Terminator input and turning on a solenoid wired to a Terminator output in response will be significantly longer with Modbus RTU than with DeviceNet or Profibus. That's why I cautioned against using RTU for machinery control.

Thanks for the info, Steve. I was not aware of the "timelag" inherent with Modbus.

I address the question of connecting the DL06 with E-com to Terminator I/O. AD support said it is not possible at this time.So your option is by modbus or to use 2 DL06 with E-Come.
I got the stuff to do it but I am too busy for that.
It should be esay and preety fast.
You need few rungs to check the communication.
I made it with RS232 so if you want it as sample let me know.

Thanks for replies. I've got 42 analog inputs that I have to bring in and at this point I'm just guessing the terminator will be cheaper vs multiple 06's. This data doesn't have to be updated faster than 1/sec so I think I'll be OK there.

Jim

Jim

I use it before few years and it work great.
Do not expect to fast respond like real analog input.
If few time in second is OK it is good solution.
It is very common way for data collection.