RSView ME Projects

bone

My old computer decided to 'retire' with all of my projects stored in the HMI Projects folder. My new computer was delivered the beginning of the week, and after re-installing all of the AB software, I realized that I now have this huge problem of not being able to retrieve any of my old projects. I have my old hard-drive backed up on the server with all of my projects intact. Is there any way to copy the project subfolders to my new hard drive and 'force' RSView ME to see them??

I hate RSView Studio / ME ...(RANT)

Most file types you can copy / move anywhere on your system and then open and use with no problems.

But not with this rubbish! It's far too clever to let you do anything that simple. I think it must use the registry to keep a list of projects - what an insane idea! And of course, it insists on keeping the projects about ten levels deep on the C: drive - nowhere else will do.

The only way to transfer a project from one PC to another is to use Studio's archive utility. This compacts a complete project directory into a single file which can be opened by the utility from any location. After restoring, Studio then recognizes the project.

This, and other issues like version compatibility, and the whole linx enterprise (we control the horizontal and the vertical) business, make me loathe to go near the product.

Workaround?

Had similar issue with SE.
In my case the customer sent me "all the files" but not the archive. I was supposed to add some screens to the existing application.

The following workaround worked in my case, should also work for ME.

Create a new project with RSView Studio ME (preferably with the same name as the old project).

Then copy all files from your backup over the newly made ones.

When I just tried that, (Copying an existing project to a new directory), I noticed that you should make sure that the name.med file right underneath the main folder matches the name of the project folder (and that this is the name.med file from your backup, rename this file if necessary.

(name.med = xxxxxxx.med were xxxxx= foldername and project name)

Re: I hate RSView Studio / ME ...(RANT)

Gerry said:
I think it must use the registry to keep a list of projects - what an insane idea!

They are at : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\RSView Studio\Recent Applications\{E44CB020-C21D-11D3-8A3F-0010A4EF3494}\Local

This information doesn't help much for transferring the files. There is probably still not a connection from the name stored in the registry and the real file, that's probably in the regristry somewhere else.

I don't know what the purpose of making so difficult to do what used to be a simple task.

I do like the increased power of PV+ over the standard PV though.

reg.gif

Last edited: