Printing with TP170B and Epson LX-300+

FernandoMex

Greetings.

Actually there's no printers aproved by Siemens to use with TP170B in México, i buy an Epson LX-300+ printer but still can't set it up. What's the cath guys?, please help me!

best regards

Actually there's no printers aproved by Siemens to use with TP170B

I don't see the need for an approved printer. It's going to print simple text. No formatting. Prints each line as it gets it. Right ? You're using as a logging / alarm printer ?

Here's a list of things I would do to set up a serial printer to a HMI. In general, it's how you would setup any two serial devices.

1. Setup printer: Tell it (via dip switch / menu ?) to use the serial port vs parr. port. Baud rate, stop bits, parity, handshake settings. Some printers default to parr. if a parr. cable is plug in. RTFM.

2. Setup HMI to use serial port: Enable it for function needed (Alarm log ?) Baud rate, stop bits, parity,handshake settings. RTFM.

3. Connect devices. See which pin is XMIT, RCV on each. Connect XMIT -> RCV. Sig Return connected together.

Check each device to see if any pins need jumpering. Like CTS to RTS, DTR to RTS. Most devices can operate in 3 wire (XMIT,RCV, SIG RTN) mode, some need actual pins jumpered, some can be set in configuration to no handshaking.

That's it. Where's the problem ?

thanx Dave2

Ok, Dave i've already passed steps 1 and 2 but maybe i forgot one thing, i need to print the whole screen because i'm trying to capture trends graphics in the panel, so... it still that easy? what i'm trying to achive is a hard copy of the screen in the printer.

Thanx again, i really apreciate your time.

theDave2 said:

I don't see the need for an approved printer. It's going to print simple text. No formatting. Prints each line as it gets it. Right ? You're using as a logging / alarm printer ?

Here's a list of things I would do to set up a serial printer to a HMI. In general, it's how you would setup any two serial devices.

1. Setup printer: Tell it (via dip switch / menu ?) to use the serial port vs parr. port. Baud rate, stop bits, parity, handshake settings. Some printers default to parr. if a parr. cable is plug in. RTFM.

2. Setup HMI to use serial port: Enable it for function needed (Alarm log ?) Baud rate, stop bits, parity,handshake settings. RTFM.

3. Connect devices. See which pin is XMIT, RCV on each. Connect XMIT -> RCV. Sig Return connected together.

Check each device to see if any pins need jumpering. Like CTS to RTS, DTR to RTS. Most devices can operate in 3 wire (XMIT,RCV, SIG RTN) mode, some need actual pins jumpered, some can be set in configuration to no handshaking.

That's it. Where's the problem ?

Thanx RolfB

I've read the manual and i will try with the pinout. I think it's easy for text panels but for graphics it is more dificult, i need to print some historical trends in the LX-300+ printer.

Thank you

RolfB said:
Hi,

look in the manual
for setup the TP170B ( Chapter 4 + 6 )

and the pinout you can find here

HTH

Cheers
Rolf

i need to print some historical trends in the LX-300+ printer

See page 6-28 of the manual for setting the printer protocol that's needed so that the printer can do graphics. Then set the printer (if needed) to the same, maybe Epson9, which may be the default.