RSLogix Report Printing Issue

raccjim

I had a student fooling around with settings tonight, and now when I try to print a program ladder, each rung prints on a separate sheet. Too many trees will die if this keeps up! Seriously, can someone point me in the right direction as I'm not finding the setting to reverse it!
Thanks!

RSLogix5? 500? 5000?

In RSLogix500, look under File > Report Options. There are a lot of settings. I don't see one specific settings that would directly cause each rung to get its own page. One or more settings may be causing that indirectly.

There is a button at the bottom that will allow you to Save/Load report settings, so once you get it sorted out, you can save the report options you like.

I can't run RSLogix5 to see how similar it is, but probably very nearly the same.

In Studio 5000 (formerly RSLogix5000) it similar and found under File > Print Options.

Pro-tip: Print to pdf until you like it and save some of them trees! Or use the Report Preview which is a little clunkier than a pdf reader, but will work for looking at a few pages.

RSLogix 500, and yes, I've been all over report options too, I can't find anything amiss. I usually have the students highlight a rung in the ladder and hit the print icon, this bypasses all the report options and just prints the ladder. It's amazing what people can get into without trying!

Check that Page Titles haven't been used instead of Rung Comments on each rung.

A Page Title prints that rung on its own separate page.
No setting for this in Report Options.

I agree with Mike. It is probably Page Titles.

Page Titles are a great option that most users don't really understand. In my years of teaching I tried my best to show people how useful they were. I couldn't believe they didn't include them in the 5000 software.

But as Mike says, any rung that contains a Page Title will print on a new page. And yes, this is not configurable. It is inherent to that type of comment.

Users should not be using Page Titles on every rung. That is what a Rung Comment is for. Think of a Page Title like a chapter in a book. The title is describing what the next set of rungs (up to the next title) will be doing. So a Page Title is intended to describe a section of logic.

\BEGIN Instructor Mode
This is totally off-topic, but if you are teaching students about RSLogix 5 or 500, then this next part is useful to show them. Rockwell ended up adding a great feature that really makes Page Titles useful. But that feature is disabled by default. Go to the Tools menu and select Options. In the middle of the page there is an option labeled "Integrate Advanced Diagnostics in Project Tree". Select that. Now, in the Project tree each LAD that contains Page Titles will have a "+" next to it. Click on the plus symbol and all of the Page Titles will be visible right there. Click (or maybe double-click) on a title and it jumps you to that section of logic. So you have a sort of Table of Contents for your logic where you can quickly jump to specific sections.
\END INSTRUCTOR Mode

OG

Thanks Mike__T and Operaghost... That's exactly what happened. The student I had last night was in fact doing a lesson on documentation and did page titles instead of rung comments, and shame on me, I didn't notice!

\BEGIN Instructor Mode
This is totally off-topic, but if you are teaching students about RSLogix 5 or 500, then this next part is useful to show them. Rockwell ended up adding a great feature that really makes Page Titles useful. But that feature is disabled by default. Go to the Tools menu and select Options. In the middle of the page there is an option labeled "Integrate Advanced Diagnostics in Project Tree". Select that. Now, in the Project tree each LAD that contains Page Titles will have a "+" next to it. Click on the plus symbol and all of the Page Titles will be visible right there. Click (or maybe double-click) on a title and it jumps you to that section of logic. So you have a sort of Table of Contents for your logic where you can quickly jump to specific sections.
\END INSTRUCTOR Mode

OG

This is one of my favorite features of RSL500 that I wish 5000 had. That and the in-line cross reference (right-click in the ladder window, go to the Address Display tab, check "Display...Cross Reference" boxes).