PLC5 Processor fault

Dragon

How can I reset a PLC5-80E processor fault if I can not connect with RSLogix and RSLinx can not even reconize it. The Peocessor ligh is solid RED. banghead

Disconnect all cables and cycle power with battery disonnected.
If Proc light still RED - send it for repair.

Yeah, try the above but not if you don't want to lose the program though!.Disconnecting the battery & cycling the juice will lose the program.You could also try removing then reseating the processor back into the chassis before giving up.
I've had problems in the past with 5/40 processors showing a solid red fault (major processor fault) but found it was usually due to a duff battery / or the processor had unseated from the chassis!! Only once have i found it due to a faulty processor but even then i could still get comms going. :(

Bolty

Last edited:
Turn the processor key to program, run, then back to remote mode, most of time it will clear the faults.

Cycle the power with the battery disconnected, will lost all your program, don't do it unless it is really needed, Thus it will not do any good for you, since all program is gone. however this is a good way to test the processor good or bad.

Turning processor to program mode. usually will reset the fault.
if the fault still excess. you need to connect terminal to reset the fault bit in the data table. The self diagnostic files tells you what and where in the logic is faulted,

If PLC does not respond to any comms from RSLINX then most likely this is more serious problem than just a major fault.

From my experience, if cycling power leave processor with solid RED light and no comms, the only chance to recover is to cycle power without battery and no extrnal devices connected, including Ethernet transsiver.

At this point if no communication established, processor is in the "BRICK" state and needs to be sent for repair.

dont know if this applies to your processor or not..Is the com port configured for something else? could it be that it isnt in the programm mode? I know this can happen with other models just not sure of this....

Just a thought...

Yes guys Darenj might be right, we had a 5/30B where channel 1A (the default DH+ channel) is configured as scanner channel. We used to communicate to the CPU through channel 0 (DF1 point to point).

So to know for sure you would want to try communicating via Channel 0, worth trying.

Cheers
Hagos