PLC and HMI unit

kirso

May be a bit of a dumb question but here goes.
We have several machines with Omron CQM1H plc's which are connected to Uniop HMI units by a serial cable from the plc peripheral port.
The HMI display starts and stops the running of the machine and lets the operator select differant functions of the machine control.
Now I have managed to download the plc programme to my laptop by removing the serial cable to the HMI and connecting up a serial cable from the pc to plc.
But because the HMI unit is now disconnected I cannot start the machine and monitor the plc program. I would like this option in case of fault finding as well as working my way through the program ie seeing changes to data as it is entered.
Any Ideas ppl or am I missing something.

I think you have two options, if you have a copy of the HMI program, you can look and see what the "START" button is doing, then go to the plc and do the same thing, toggle a bit, write a word, etc..., or study the plc program and try and figure out what each rung is doing. Since you copied the program from the plc to your laptop, I assume you do not have any documentation. This will make your task much harder, but not impossible. Once you figure out what does what, operation of the machine from you laptop should be simple. If possible, obtain a copy of the original program on disk, that way you'll have the documentation.

The CQM1H peripheral port has an auto-detect feature which decides what is connected to the peripheral port by the first character into the port. When you download the PLC program using a peripheral serial cable the port is automatically set to Toolbus communications. When you remove the peripheral cable from the peripheral port and re-connect the UniOP interface , it expects Sysway or Hostlink communications. Use CX programmer to permanently set the port to Sysway communications and then always download the PLC program using Sysway rather than Toolbus protocol. Then when you reconnect the port, it will be using the correct protocol for the UniOP interface.

there is a pc/printer port on the Uniop.Its a 15 pin, theres also an aux port which is a 9 pin port. But I thought these may have been just for the programming of the uniop unit.
I am using syswin 3.4 and made up cable to go from plc to pc.This is 9 pin both ends,so if it is poss to connect via the Uniop display then may need to find the pin connections for a new cable.

Last edited:
Just an update .
I have now sussed out that the HMI is connected to the rs232 port on the plc and I have now identified the correct peripheral port (dinky little thing behind a flap).Also have the info for the cable needed to connect from this peripheral port and pc.Cable on order .
Thanks for all the help people.

The name says it all

kirso said:
May be a bit of a dumb question but here goes.
We have several machines with Omron CQM1H plc's which are connected to Uniop HMI units by a serial cable from the plc peripheral port.
The HMI display starts and stops the running of the machine and lets the operator select differant functions of the machine control.
Now I have managed to download the plc programme to my laptop by removing the serial cable to the HMI and connecting up a serial cable from the pc to plc.
But because the HMI unit is now disconnected I cannot start the machine and monitor the plc program. I would like this option in case of fault finding as well as working my way through the program ie seeing changes to data as it is entered.
Any Ideas ppl or am I missing something.
Yes, contact OMRON and get a LINKS Module this will allow to go on-line with the PLC and HMI at the same time.