PLC-2 to SLC-500 conversion software? ...

Ron Beaufort

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings cebv84,

I'm taking the liberty of posting the Private Message that you sent me on the open forum ... that way you can have many more people helping with your problem ...

HI Ron, i want to ask you if you know that exist a program that emulate plc 2 to slc???? I have to change a plc 2 with a slc, but the program is very complicate to adapt. sorry for my english i speak spanish

cebv84

first of all ... your English is perfectly understandable ... but the proper word is “convert” from PLC-2 to SLC ... not “emulate” ... “convert” means to change from one format to another ... “emulate” means to “act like” ... we would use the word “emulate” to describe software that would “act like” a hardware PLC (and execute a ladder logic program) without actually having the PLC hardware available ...

as for your question ... I'm sorry ... there is no software that I know of that will directly convert a PLC-2 program to an SLC-500 system ...

there IS one that will convert from a PLC-2 to a PLC-5 ... there is a lot of similarity between the PLC-5 and the SLC-500 ... so ... you might want to consider using the software to go from the PLC-2 to the PLC-5 first ... then you could copy-and-paste the rungs from the PLC-5 program (using RSLogix5) into the new SLC-500 program (using RSLogix500) ... that would get you started ... but then you'd still have to do a lot of fine-tuning in order to get the addresses and special instructions all straightened out ...

and so my question is this: how complicated are the PLC-2 programs that you're working with? ... more specifically, how complicated are the machines? ... the basic idea is that it MIGHT BE a lot easier to just throw out the old PLC-2 programs completely and start writing the SLC-500 program from the beginning ...

trust me ... unless the machines and their existing programs are VERY complicated, you're probably going to waste a lot more time than you'll save by trying to "convert" the program from one format to another ...

your Allen-Bradley distributor probably has the PLC-2 to PLC-5 conversion software available ... it would be a good idea to ask them if they will make the conversion for you ... depending on your relationship with them, they might be able to do this for a reasonable charge – and possibly for free ...

this PLC-2 to SLC-500 subject has been discussed on the forum before ... it might be a good idea to search and see if you can find the original threads ...

good luck ... and welcome to the forum ...