Explosion proof HMI device

huynt

Dear all.
We use ControlLogix PLC with Ethernet/IP(over Ethernet/IP module). Do you know Explosion proof HMI device support Ethernet/IP or other protocol of AB.
thanks.

huynt: Please list the Class, Division and Group the equipment is to go in as the term "Explosion Proof" is pretty broad & generic.

Before, we used ET4 HMI from SAE-STAHL, do you orther company supply HMI device same ET4 of SAE-STAHL.
Thanks.

In my experience, there a lot of companies that make devices for Class I, Division II, groups C & D, but if you have a Class I, Division I (explosive atmosphere at all times), classification, then I believe a purged enclosure is your best option.

I've used these folks with good success, LINK , they sell PC's and enclosures. They provide documentation that the units have been certified by a governing body. They are not cheap.

This ONE is slightly cheaper, but the salesman could never produce documentation that the unit was certified by some governing body.

Ken

Thank Ken.
You can send to me infomation of some text display HMI with explosion proof, isn't it.
Thanks

huynt said:
Before, we used ET4 HMI from SAE-STAHL, do you orther company supply HMI device same ET4 of SAE-STAHL.
Thanks.

The ET4 is rated "Intrinsically safe EEx [ib] IIC T4 for zone 1 and 2".

I want to use in vapour oil and gas enviroment

Unfortunatly, that is not enough information. Areas are rated by either Class&Division&Group or by Zone. You'll have to find this out before you can select equipment, unless you want to purchase the most expensive equipment that is rated Class 1, Division 1 or Zone 0 and install it correctly ($$$$). Which may be way overkill.

The Area Rating is done by a qualified engineer or (as it seems to be mostly) the insurance company that is writting the coverage for the company.

I've used both of the equipment that Ken has mentioned in a Class 1, Div 1 area. Had no trouble getting documentation.

AB makes HMI's that are rated for Class 1, Division II.

x-proof hmi

huynt-
the first step is determining the area classification.
Class 1, Division 1 is not the same as Zone 1 or even Zone 0.
These are two different hazardous area classification systems.
Once you have determined area class, all equipment in this area
has to be rated for the area, or purged and pressurized
(according to applicable codes) as Ken stated. Wiring methods
for intrinsically safe systems must be followed, as well as getting
the proper intrinsically rated equipment for the area.
We just went through this, we were looking for a touchscreen
for a class1, div 1, area, and they are difficult to locate. (If
they exist.) I also looked at the Exicom line, but could not find
one. We finally ended up using an AB Panelview and moving it
to a Class 1, Division 2, area.

- charles

katratzi said:
We just went through this, we were looking for a touchscreen
for a class1, div 1, area, and they are difficult to locate. (If
they exist.) I also looked at the Exicom line, but could not find
one.

I've been looking / searching / finding for 10 years now. Slim Pickings.

They exist. Stahl (Exicom) has the ET-9752. That one is pretty new (1 year ?) They also had a different unit about 3 - 4 years ago. Both rated C1D1 I.S.

The ISIS-400 by/from technor-isis.com is another all-in-one.

Protech is the only I.S. rated C1D1 Touch Screen I could find.

I.S. rated C1D1 PS/2 Keyboards & Pointing Devices are plenty. Keypads are not.

We have in our plant air purged enclosures with OITs in them. I can get the info tomorrow if you want. I have been designing controls for automated machines in the same class 1 div 1 environment as stated and use all pneumatic controls ie limit switches, PBs and selector switches on the machine and ran tubing to a non hazardous environment into pneumatic transducers where I controlled the machine through a PLc and OIT. something to think about. Its alot cheaper and takes the guess work out of it.

Thank everyone.
Really, I know litle knowledge about Explosion proof. You can help me, send to me some manual about that.
Thank everyone very much.
Huy.

We are looking for an explosion proof HMI / Terminal to use on industrial equipment to be installed in a Class 1, Div 1 (C1D1) location.
We currently build machines for Class 1, Div 2 (C1D2) locations using a purged enclosure with a Red Lion HMI linked using Ethernet to an Allen Bradley PLC.
Has anyone found a solution for this configuration?
If we have a C1D2 display in a purged cabinet, is it possible to add some form of membrane or cover?
Any advice welcome.
Thanks