Contrologix to Panelview

Hardwerk

I have a contrologix talking to a regular panelview 10" monochrome. we're talking controlnet.

We are trying to get a multistate indicator to work. Yes, i know, a multistate indicator.

We have tried having the panelview tags as DINT, SINT, INT.

We have tried having the rslogix5k tags as DINT, SINT, INT.

We can do floating point displays, we have full communications.

NO GO!

I have been banging my head on this for a few hours now and still nothing. Poor documentation from RS and there new fancy support service contract has prevented help from them. I tried to express to them that i cannot buy a support contract for them in the next 10 minutes so therefore it's pointless.

Please help!

I assume you're using PB32. There is a annoying feature about mutistate indicators that may or may not help you if you are trying to set up for a indicator with just two states.

On the configuration dialog that pops up, see on the property tab where you specify the read property: Single Bit, LSB, or Value?

Here's the catch. If the number of states defined on the 'STATES' tab is greater than two (fresh installed PB32 is four I believe), then the 'SINGLE BIT' read selection is ghosted out and un-selectable. You have to delete states until there is just three showing (0, 1, and E) and then the 'SINGLE BIT' read button will no longer be ghosted out and you can select it. You can then specify a bit address or in your case I guess its a TAG (not yet fluent in CLX).

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hardwerk said:
i apologize, yes we're using pb32 version 3.81.

we are using 6 states including the error state.

What is your read property set to? LSB? Value? If LSB, I beleive you have to pay attention to the array size setting in your tag definition (in this case 6) and the tag data type should be set to unsigned integer.

Hardwerk said:
we're using value. Signed Int and Unsigned Int. niether work.

Well, the only guess I can make now is that even though the CLX integers can be defined as singles, internally they are still DINTs and the PV has trouble reading them. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi...I am 100% certain it will work, but there is something simple overlooked here. We can do it, but we will need ALL the relevant info.

The source tag in the CLX. Is it an elemental or a member of an array? Is it a global or program tag?

In order to simplify things just create a single elemental DINT tag in the global processor tags.

Now create a Numeric Display object, create the PV tag as an Unscheduled address and get the display to update the value on the screen in realtime. This will prove the PV is accessing the CLX tag correctly.

Now just create a simple three state Multistate object using the same tag and see what happens.

VlvStg1SuctInletind = Elemental, DINT (tried SINT, INT) controller level variable.

Numeric Display did not work either.

Last edited:
We can do floating point displays, we have full communications.

So are you saying that other tags are being read properly with other panelview objects? If so, what is different about the tags? Can you base your indicator off one that is working? Does the numeric display work for any tag in the system?

As Phillip indicated, we are missing something obvious.

OG

evidentally either

A.) a object was not communicating correctly (seeing they were all setup correctly they should've been) and voided the entire page

B.) the page itself was corrupt

I created a new multistate on a different page d/l'd and it worked.

i then created a new page and new objects based on the problem variables, but it didn't work there either. there is no difference between the multi that works and the one that doesn't. seriously, no difference.

thanks for everybody's help.

Last edited: