contrologix 5580 and pf527

s9k2004

Can anyone confirm that using contrologix 5580 controller is not possible to work with powerflex 527? It's been a couple of days now that i am trying to configure pf527 using 1756-L82E and yet "axis is unconnected" is showing.

Given the following details below, im still stucked-up with axis unconnected.
1. pf527 appears in i/o tree with running condition
2. Motion group folder was created with "AXIS" assigned and associated to PF527
3. IP address is configured at pf527, 192.168.1.51 subnet : 255.255.255.0
4. Controller IP add of 192.168.1.2 and same subnet mask with pf527
5. A simple motion command "MAJ" is present in routine.

When im trying to use direct motion command to drive the motor there is an error
axis not configured and it turned out to be that it is due to unconnected axis. Another thing is the fp527 is having a display of "CONNECTING"

Reading the user manual leads me to conclude that pf527 is compatible only to guardlogix

Last edited:
Agreed; that PowerFlex 527 supports both hardwired Safe Torque Off and networked CIP Safety with GuardLogix.

You can definitely run it with an ordinary ControlLogix as a CIP Motion axis, but you have to implement or jumper out the hardwired STO.

Since the network connection is set up as Motion only, without CIP Safety, then it *should* work, but I don't have direct or recent experience troubleshooting this issue. But be encouraged that you don't need to go buy a GuardLogix CPU !

hello guys.. just to give you update on the progress of my troubleshooting.. I've tried removing the jumper in pf527 STO even before posting this issue but it didn't give me good results. As i dig deeper on the issue it turns out to be that i have to use different firmware version of the controller and that'e it!!! i can now directly command to the axis to move..

I am using the same controller 1756-L82E firmware V30.. I used V32 instead ..

I'll keep you updated once it is fully running.. So far my issue of connecting the the device module to the axis is now solved..

Thanks for those who replied..

it is the other way around.. it is the firmware upgrade that makes it work.. same parameter and configuration applied..

I vaguely recall an issue that the L8?E units had using the Ethernet port with VSD’s, that they would lose communication with the processor and they fixed the problem in a higher firmware for processor, but I cannot remember which version had the problem.
Maybe this had something to do with the problem.

found from another site:

Technote ID 707492:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/707492/loc/en_US#__highlight

There is an anomaly that can occur in version 30 and below of Studio 5000 where the PowerFlex 527 axis will get stuck in a connecting state indefinitely if the PowerFlex 527 drive is configured for firmware revision 2 in the Module Definition window of the drive properties within Studio 5000. The work around for this anomaly is to change the drive revision in the project to be version 1.001 and set the Electronic Keying to be Compatible Module. Once changing the revision in the project to be 1.001 the Motion Group will synchronize and the axis will go into a Stopped state. The firmware within the drive can stay at version 2 as long as the project’s configuration is changed. If you need the version 2 firmware features within the add on profile then use Studio 5000 version 31 or above because these are not affected by this anomaly.

Last edited: