ML1500 On DNET Stuff

Allan Barnes

Is there a way to get the 1769-SDN scanner Node ID in to the ML1500 PLC.

I was looking at the Scanner I/0 Status and I saw nothing that shows me where the Scanner Address is.

I've worked with the ML1500 and DNET several times, but the only way I know of is to go online with DNET to the Scanner and view it there. If I understand DNET correctly; all the node addresses are stored there and not in the processor. What are you hoping to do with this? (just curious)

Sportster

I work with Printing presses, I have up to 10 offsets(Colors). Each offset(Slave) writes to a different adress in the Host(Master). I want to use a lookup table in the offset, and based on the scanner address will determain where the offset writes. This way I only have to write one universal program, Instead of doing it 10 times.

I dont understand what you want to do, when you setup DNET you will map to plc registers which will provide for I/O data to/from the device. Once you manipulate the plc registers the device associated with that register is the one that provides/uses that info.

Last edited:
Yes for the Scanner I/0 You would do that. But you can not do that for Explicit messaging.
When I will be explicit messaging I will be writing to the registers in the master specificaly set aside for Each Offset. To avoid writing 10 sets of very simmar code(Cut & paste with lots of chance of mistakes) I will get the Node Adress, which will determain which Offest it is, Node 10 = Offset 1, Node 11 = Offset 2, ect, ect.
We sell anywhere from 10 to 20 press a year, so the more programs there are the more chances to mix things up.
I called tech support and found out that the Scanner node address in in Input word 20 is the first Bite of data in BCD, so now I just need to Convert BCD to Decimal and I am off and running.

PS. This seams to be one of the rare times Tech support Helped

Last edited:
I was surprised to see the value in BCD, not hex, but that makes sense because it is being displayed on a 7-segment LED on the module and most of the integrated circuits that do that accept BCD format.

The SLC has a built-in instruction to convert from BCD to an ordinary two's complement binary Integer: The "FRD" instruction. Separate out your low byte with a masked move, then use the FRD and you're set.

69SDN_Status.gif