Low voltage in Germany

No it's not..

Germany (like the UK now) is 400/230v, the same as the rest of Europe

I felt like having a good argument here (haven't had one today, yet :D), then I remembered noticing the voltage on my power monitor at home last week and it was, indeed, 227 V.

When the voltages in Europe were initially standardised (a long time ago now) the tolerances were set wide enough (10%?) that in fact initially nobody needed to change.

Does this mean that the voltages in the various countries are slowly drifting towards actually being 230V?

What voltage do you have in the UK now Paul (measured)?

Roy

Measured voltage in the UK is still around the 240v mark.
Although our wiring regulations (16th Edition BS 7671) quote 40/230v.
I still do my calculations for cable sizing etc using 415/240v, not 400/230v.

Paul

P.S It's never an argument, just a discussion, sometimes heated!

I seem to remember reading that the tolerance is coming down to 5% which gives 400 +/- 20.

Old German motors are 380V all new European motors should be 400V. I still work on 415v for wire sizing too.