SLC 5/05 ethernet configuration trouble

gmultani52

Hi
I am having slc 5/05 in my plant running a program.I want to communicate through ethernet. I am not able to.

though through serial port I uploaded the program and come to know the IP adress. Please some one explain step wise for driver selection then entering ip adress, node etc. to configuratioin through ethernet please thanks.

When you configured the I.P. address is Channel 1 config, did you uncheck the "BOOT P ENABLE" box? If not, do that, then download over DF1 again. After download go offline. In RSLinx, configure the AB-ETH_1 driver. In the driver configuration, put in th I.P. address of your 5/05. Do not put in the I.P. of your PC NIC. After you configure the driver, perform an RSWho and verify that you can see the 5/05 under the AB-ETH_1 dirver. After you have configured your computer's NIC to the same Subnet Mask and similar I.P. address (the first 3 octets should be identical to the SLC's I.P.). In RSLogix500, select COMMS>SYSTEM COMMS. When the RSWho window appears, drill down to the SLC under the AB-ETH_1 driver and highlight the 5/05. At the bottom of this window, check the "Apply to Project" box. Then select GO ONLINE. This should do it.

One other thing that I didn't see mentioned here....

Are you trying to communicate through a hub or switch?
Or maybe direct pc to plc? If the latter is the case you will need a crossover cable to facilitate peer to peer ethernet.

Dave

Hi,
I was trying to communicate through Hub. thanks for help you perfect professional provided. I think my laptop's internet port is faulty.

Any other way to communicate to slc 5/05 through hub to laptop

Another Q. though I communicate to Micrologic 1500 through serial port but RSwho window donot show any driver connection tree. Any suggestion.

thanks

im trying to comunicate though my laptop point to point but that didnt work. i can communicate over the lan system but not from the ethernet port of my laptop to the slc 5/05 ethernet port. what am i doing wrong?

Are you trying to communicate directly without going through a switch/hub? If you're trying to plug your computer directly into the 5/05, you're going to need a cross-over cable.

gmultani52 said:
Hi,
I was trying to communicate through Hub. thanks for help you perfect professional provided. I think my laptop's internet port is faulty.

Any other way to communicate to slc 5/05 through hub to laptop

Another Q. though I communicate to Micrologic 1500 through serial port but RSwho window donot show any driver connection tree. Any suggestion.

thanks

Are you certain that your ethernet card is configured properly? Please tell me what the IP address is for your Laptop, the 5/05 and what is your subnet mask? I have a feeling that it's not your eithernet port, more likely your configuration.

Dmroeder is correct. Look at the physical link lights to determine if the cable is in fact a crossover cable - they're usually orange and have the send/receive pins transposed.

Your laptop needs to have an IP address that's on the same subnet as the PLC. This should be entered manually since you will be plugged directly into the PLC - and the PLC won't provide one.

Post the IP address and subnet mask for the PLC and PC. On the PC, open a DOS prompt and type "ipconfig". Default gateways and DNS don't come into play here.

dmroeder said:
Are you certain that your ethernet card is configured properly? Please tell me what the IP address is for your Laptop, the 5/05 and what is your subnet mask? I have a feeling that it's not your eithernet port, more likely your configuration.

Dmroeder is correct. Look at the physical link lights to determine if the cable is in fact a crossover cable - they're usually orange and have the send/receive pins transposed.

Your laptop needs to have an IP address that's on the same subnet as the PLC. This should be entered manually since you will be plugged directly into the PLC - and the PLC won't provide one.

Post the IP address and subnet mask for the PLC and PC. On the PC, open a DOS prompt and type "ipconfig". Default gateways and DNS don't come into play here. You will then want to "ping" the PLC to test communication. If it still doesn't work, post what steps you took and what the responses were.

dmroeder said:

Me too!

Excellent link, Smoke. In the last two days I've been there & done that (enet-to-slc505) and checked/unchecked all the boxes and now I'm mumbling the word "ping" in my sleep. Here's the situation; any suggestions much apprecaited.

Laptop 1 add: 192.168.1.99 /255.255.255.0
Laptop 2 add: 192.168.1.120 /255.255.255.0
PV600 add: 192.168.1.1 /255.255.255.0
SLC5/05 add: 192.168.1.2 /255.255.255.0

Ping:

Laptop 1 to enet PV600: OK
Laptop 1 to slc: No go
Laptop 1 to Laptop 2: OK
Laptop 2 to enet PV600: OK
Laptop 1 to slc: OK

Firewalls: off

I'm baffled! Any thoughts? Cheers, DB.

Last edited:
What's plugged into what? Any crossover cables? Are those bottom two pings supposed to be "laptop 2"?

All 4 devices are on the same subnet and should be able to communicate with each other.

DairyBoy said:
Excellent link, Smoke. In the last two days I've been there & done that (enet-to-slc505) and checked/unchecked all the boxes and now I'm mumbling the word "ping" in my sleep. Here's the situation; any suggestions much apprecaited.

PV600 add: 192.168.1.1 /255.255.255.0
SLC5/05 add: 192.168.1.2 /255.255.255.0

Ping:

Laptop 1 to enet PV600: OK
Laptop 1 to slc: No go
Laptop 2 to enet PV600: OK
Laptop 1 to slc: OK

Firewalls: off

I'm baffled! Any thoughts? Cheers, DB.

If you change the IP addresses on the Laptops ...

to

Laptop 1 add: 192.168.1.120 /255.255.255.0
Laptop 2 add: 192.168.1.99 /255.255.255.0

What are the results?

What is the address of the Hub? Ususally it would be xxx.xxx.xxx.1.

Is there any other devices on this network?

Why would you swap their IP addresses? That is in no way similar to swapping cards when troubleshooting physical devices. They are both on the same subnet. Best case it's equivalent to rebooting your computer. That is, unless the PLC has an IP based ACL (access control list) or some other really unusual scheme set up.

A hub doesn't have an IP address. Neither do most switches. I think you're referring to the default gateway setting, which describes the router/layer 3 switch that you use to communicate with a different network. That would often be x.x.x.1. That's not relevant here since all the nodes are on the same subnet.

Oakley said:
If you change the IP addresses on the Laptops ...

to

Laptop 1 add: 192.168.1.120 /255.255.255.0
Laptop 2 add: 192.168.1.99 /255.255.255.0

What are the results?

What is the address of the Hub? Ususally it would be xxx.xxx.xxx.1.

Is there any other devices on this network?