SLC 5/05 ethernet connection with fault

Mr. Ro Bot

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all! I have some machines that run an SLC 5/03 and occasionally a fault is generated.

Recent Example: A power supply wasn't screwed in all the way and it faulted the PLC. I'm 500 miles away so I can't be on site easily to reset the fault.

I'm wondering if I swap this out with an SLC 5/05 would that solve the issue? Can you connect to the PLC remotely to download a program and/or reset a major fault. Or would the major error/fault stop my ability to remotely connect to the PLC?

That is an option, you would also have to add some sort of remote access device to be able to get to it. A major fault won't stop you ability to remotely connect. Of course, if it is caused by hardware, you would have to have someone there to resolve it.

In your example, if someone would have properly reattached the power supply, then toggled the key switch PGM > RUN > PGM > RUN, it probably would have cleared the fault. As long as the fault condition is corrected, the key switch can clear the fault.

If the 5/05 is too costly, there are devices that can put a serial connection on an ethernet network.