Allen Bradley Safety Lifeline 3 user?

ckchew666

Hi,

We are working on a project for AB Safety product - Lifeline 3.

Has anyone here come across this product? I'd like to know about their installation difficulty, and how's the tensioner work.

Anyone please feedback. Thx.

I just installed 4 and will install 12 more next week. The Lifeline 3 has to be pre-tensioned to use as a cable-pull style switch. It can also be used with a breaking line, which requires repairing/replacing the line once it's been activated. The switch comes with four contacts in three (I think) configurations. We use ours for E-Stops on a conveyor system. The installation and accessories documentation found at ABs website are exactly what is sent with the switch.

Rube said:
I just installed 4 and will install 12 more next week. The Lifeline 3 has to be pre-tensioned to use as a cable-pull style switch. It can also be used with a breaking line, which requires repairing/replacing the line once it's been activated. The switch comes with four contacts in three (I think) configurations. We use ours for E-Stops on a conveyor system. The installation and accessories documentation found at ABs website are exactly what is sent with the switch.

Hi Rube,

Nice to hear from an experience user here, because I'll be installing them in near future. So, maybe can get some words or precautions from you. Our line is also a conveyor line, it's not for machine barricade purpose.

I've some doubts and questions throw back from our customer, really appreciate if you can spare me 2 - 3 minutes clarify me. I do tried to search the web for installation manuals/guide/step by step, but no luck, do you mind link me there? What I found is the catalog only.

1) For a straight distance of 20 feet (about 7m), the BOM that we required are 440E-A13080 (1 set) and 440E-D13118 (2 units)? Besides that, is there any other required part?

2) The installation kit, 440E-A13080 comes with a 10m cable, if we only require 7m, can we cut off the cable manually?

3) For installation of a distance of 7m, how many meters should the cable be? I believe the tensioner is used to adjust the tension of the cable by coiling them inside, so how many meter/length the tensioner can coil the extra cable in it?

4) Based on the catalog, for a distance <10m, only ONE lifeline 3 and one tensioner spring is required, can be put TWO lifeline 3, in order to make the system more sensitive?

Thanks a lot. :)

Regards,
CK Chew

CK,

I have also install several lifeline 3 and lifeline 4 systems. I will try to answer your questions and add some of my 2 cents worth.
1. You will need 1 installation kit (440E-A13080), I'm not sure what the D13118 (2 each) are, not in my catalog.
2. Yes the cable can be cut to length.
3. I install the system with the slack removed from the cable and then use the tensioner to take up the slack. I have seen maybe 1 foot worth of cable inside the coil.
4. Don't try to make the system more sensitive. These are sensitive enough (too much so for my conveyor system). If you install 2 of these in such a short distance, you will see that they will "fight" each other and be a bear to adjust. The spring inside the estop is not that exact enough for this (In my opinion).
As for the AB installation kit, I do not use some of the items that are included since I disagree with their choice of material. The eye-bolts in the kit are P-bolts that are just a bent over straight piece of metal. Our standard states to use solid eye eye-bolts. This will prevent the cable from getting pinched in the open space. Also, I install a light on the e-stop to identify which one is tripped. I have several miles of conveyor with a multitude of e-stop switches. They are currently the Fairway style, but I am changing them out to the AB lifeline 4 (which is very similar to the lifeline 3).
I hope this helps.

Bruce,

1) The catalog number is referring from the lifeline 3 catalog.

2) If we just use one Lifeline 3/4 How about the spring quality? We are planing to use two swithc L3/4 because we are affraid of the sensitivity after 2 - 3 years, affraid the spring lose it's tension :)

What do you think?

Thx.