OMRON counters

Unregistered

U
Hello,
I'm doing another Omron project and have a question about counters. I'm using a CJ1M PLC if it matters. I want to know if I will be able to modify the current value of a counter by moving a value into it's address. The command I have entered is MOV #2 C90 and the editor had no problems with it. I won't be able to power up the machine and get started to try it out for another week or two so I'd like to know if I can do this in case there are many places in the program where I may need this feature. Thanks!

MOV #2 C90 will move the value of #2 to the PRV or Present Value of the counter. It will run once at this value and the revert to original setpoint.
You should construct the counter as follows:
LD INPUT
LD RESET
CNT 90 D100
Then MOV #2 D100 will set the Counter Preset.

Maybe - could you verify?

I'm not sure that's exactly what I will need. I should have given more information but I didn't want to confuse the issue. I need to be able to change the 'accumulated' value for jumping to steps in a counter based sequencer routine like we do in all of our AB based machines. Say you need to skip ahead for a reject condition or go back a few steps to try a pickup 3 times before faulting out. I understand that you were showing me that the counter can be defined with a variable (didn't know that) and then move values into the variable, but won't your example change my 'pre-set' value? I need to leave the number the counter will count up to alone(pre-set) and be able to change the 'step' that I am on(accumulated) and continue counting from that new point. I'm now thinking what I had originally was close but I didn't quite follow your comment "It will run once at this value and then revert to original setpoint."
thanks again

First of all, how about registering at PLCs.net and joining the community.

Second, your first solution was correct for the actual application that you are describing. With regards to my statement about "running only once at that preset value" depends on whether you reach the final preset or if the counter ever gets reset. If for some reason the counter is reset, it will revert back to the original preset.

Since you described what you are actually doing, then your original solution will work fine to change the accumulated value.

Hmm,

"Unregistered guest " here again. I failed to notice I was a guest at the time. I think when I am on the road my laptop loses many of my cookies for security purposes when I get on the high speed stuff at the hotel because I have to log back into sites that normally recognize me when I return to the office. I have never been to a forum that allows you to post anything unless you were logged in so I didn't catch that I wasn't.
Anyway, thanks for the help. I actually like using Omron and have sucked my cubicle neighbor into this project because we are so far behind and he doesn't seem to mind working on it either. There are a lot of nice features in the software and PLC if we could just get used to all of them.

Just a small though, if you are doing a type of sequencing, or step based system, would it not be easier to have actual steps based on conditions, ( unless you are advancing on the same condition every time? ) then you could simply move a step no. into a DM area based on the conditions that are present, whether they be operational, fault recovery or whatever your application requires? We quite often use this method, it is based on Functional Descriptions or TI/siemens have what is called sequential function charts. This format can be implemented in almost any PLC I think, just different terms for different instructions.

If using CX-Programmer, you can change PV and SV points without any programming or even going into online program mode.

For SV, right click on the current value, select "SET" and then "VALUE", type in #--- whatever number you require as an SV (provided the counter is set up for BCD - default) and enter DONE!!!

For PV, use the same procedure without the hash, just change the value. So easy it is not funny. Same goes for timers.

If you have set you timers and counters to binary/decimal type, use & instead of #.

By the way, got my CX-One software yesterday and commissioned 2 Device Net loops today.
MAN IS IT GREAT TO USE!!!
The integrator is great.

scottmurphy - I probably could do it that way but we have 15 years of standards to uphold here :ROFLMAO: The more it looks like our AB programs the happier everyone will be.

BobB - glad to hear DeviceNet went well. I have 3 small networks to setup hopefully this week. Mostly Omron modules but two of them will have Denso robots on them so I am a little worried since I am behind on this project.
thanks for everyones help

two of them will have Denso robots on them so I am a little worried since I am behind on this project.
thanks for everyones help

I have not had time to experiment yet but I think you may need explicit messaging for the robots. If you do, CX-One alledgedly has FBs for explicit messaging. That would make it very easy.