communication cable

hu3v4s

hey guys how are you ? don´t scold me ¡¡¡¡¡ sorry

well i have another question , a friend said me "you can make your own comm cable to communicate a plc STEP7 and your computer" i think it is possible but i don´t have the pin out to do that cable could you tell me how can i make that cable if it´s possible, at least somebody can send me the pin out please?

thanks a lot

atte michael

do you currently have a cable? Not familliar w/ Siemens at all, but with AB cables, we use a meter to ring out the pins when building a new cable.

Michael,

a simple search for "MPI pinout" on this site using the search tool provided here gave me 8 results in a mere 0.32s.

I don't understand why today everything has to be free, even answers have to be given "for free". When I was in school it was customary for everybody to do his/her own homework/job. And we didn't even have the Internet to search a whole world of information, we had to do it the hard way, reading books in the library, at least if these were available. I even remember traveling more than 100km to a university library to find something, simply because the school I was in had insufficient books on the subject. Nobody wined about it, we simply did our job and that was it. Nowadays there's the Internet with a million times (or even a lot more) the amount of information we had available in those days and all we hear is "please give me the answer" (sometimes even without "please").

One advise from me: Seek and thou shall find. Demand and you'll be considered lazy. No offence intended.

Oh, BTW, you can't make your own cable to communicate between a PC and an S7, because it's not simply a cable but also a protocol converter. You can only make a connection cable to connect several MPI devices (PLC's, operator panels and so on). To connect a PC to a PLC you need an MPI converter or an MPI card in the PC.

Regards,

Students - whine and cry

jvdcande said:
Michael,

a simple search for "MPI pinout" on this site using the search tool provided here gave me 8 results in a mere 0.32s.

I don't understand why today everything has to be free, even answers have to be given "for free". When I was in school it was customary for everybody to do his/her own homework/job. And we didn't even have the Internet to search a whole world of information, we had to do it the hard way, reading books in the library, at least if these were available. I even remember traveling more than 100km to a university library to find something, simply because the school I was in had insufficient books on the subject. Nobody wined about it, we simply did our job and that was it.

BOY wann't it the pits trying to learn back then. 10 miles barefoot thru 6 foot of snow and beatin off the saber tooth tigers?? And the library - you had to have an elephant to carry the stone tablets IF they let them out the door.

The heck we did not whine and cry (at least here in USA). We griped about everything instuctors, library, tuition, homework, literature search, ghe bus did not drop us at the doorstep and WE HAD TO WALK !! OF course we put our papers off to the last minute.

BUT

I agree we had to get off our butts and go dig out the info.
I'm all for helping people especially when they are down,
BUT I am a little (LITTLE -- like HxxL)tired of my taxes spent on people who should be able to carry their own load.

SO to OTHER students
I am too damn busy with my own learning to drag your sorry carcass when you have two perfectly good legs and eyeballs and a good brain.

Learn or stay dumb
Work or starve
It's OK by me

Dan Bentler

ok

Ok Thanks For Your Comments And I Don´t Know Why A Simple Question Has To Create A Lot Of Negative Replys

Anyway Thanks

I Will Not Botter Any More

Michael,

Don't be put off by a couple of negative replies.

I thought your question was valid.

To "leitmotif and jvdcande" you will a catch a lot more flies with honey rather than vinegar. I can understand your frustration with poorly asked questions or people looking for a free ride, but you don't have to reply in the fashion that you did or even reply at all for that matter.

I know we all remember the recording breaking thread about "hazing and why it happens" so there is no need to go down that path again (as entertaining as it was).

Lets all be nice to each other, I am a firm beleiver in that what goes around comes around and anyone that is a free loader will be found out in the end.

Just my hummble opinion.

gunner

Mistake and lesson

Gunner said:
Michael,

Don't be put off by a couple of negative replies.

I thought your question was valid.

To "leitmotif and jvdcande" you will a catch a lot more flies with honey rather than vinegar. I can understand your frustration with poorly asked questions or people looking for a free ride, but you don't have to reply in the fashion that you did or even reply at all for that matter.

I know we all remember the recording breaking thread about "hazing and why it happens" so there is no need to go down that path again (as entertaining as it was).

Lets all be nice to each other, I am a firm beleiver in that what goes around comes around and anyone that is a free loader will be found out in the end.

Just my hummble opinion.

gunner

Gunner
Looking back I was wrong.
My apologies

Dan Bentler