remote I/O

mwatkins

There is a lot of choices for doing controlling I/O remotely. Here is what I have.

I need to go from a SLC 5/03 to a remote location about a distance of 400' to 10 digital inputs and 10 digital outputs at 24v.
I am looking for the least expensive set-up. I have device net software but there is already a 2 conductor shielded cable ran that can be used for remote I/O. Please recommend a set-up I should use.
I am thinking of using a 1747-SN RIO scnaner to a 1791 Standard block I/O. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

The least costly method of doing this is probably with the remote I/O scanner. Since you already have the cable installed, why not use it and avoid the cost of further installation. If the block I/O used in remote will do the job, sounds like a winner to me. You should consult your local AB distributor on matters of cost and also any late breaking equipment that you may not be aware of. I try to get by the AB site pretty regularly but am continually amazed at how quickly things seem to change. Hope this helps.
Randy L.

As long as the twinaxial cable is really suitable for Remote I/O, that's definitely the simplest method.

The I/O should be fairly inexpensive, too; A-B just released "CompactBlock" I/O with a RIO adapter built in. You could get the 16-point DC Input block with the RIO adapter and get a regular 16-point DC Output expansion block to fill your I/O needs.

http://www.ab.com/io/1791dnew.html