Insulation Resistance of Ground to Earth

Unregistered

U
Sir,

I would like to know what is the acceptable Insulation resistance of Neutral to Earth in a 3 Phase 380 VAC 4 wire ... where we get a 220 VAC supply from neutral to ground... 220 VAC is supplying computer, Lighting, water cooler and some CCTV loads

Are there any website that have this information?

Thank You very much

Neutral to ground must be 0 volts since normally the neutral is tied to ground at the source transformer. I think you mean 220V single phase from one leg to neutral.

Please confirm.

The absolute minimum for a 220Vac system is 220Kohm. (the netherlands)
Afcourse you have to disconnect all equipment first when you start meassuring. The resistance can only be meassured with a megger (same as multimeter but meassures with 500Vdc) and this voltage kills a lot of equipment.

When you ask me you have a problem when the system gets down to 220Kohms. It's bether to find out where the low resistance value comes from. You will find something faulty in a system with 220Kohm.

Jurgen

first of all, your question can be answered by reading the description details of your systems.Normally there is STANDARD color coding arrangements where you can get the ground base of what country you are..for I know Good Earth Ground must be High resistance,there are so many testers to test good ground it depends to the soil.if you are standing in the Poor resistance Ground.Just ask anybody here knows SOIL TREATMENT for good Grounding.The ground must be 0 Voltage!

diony_com
PHILIPPINES

Resistance to ground

Unregistered said:
Sir,

I would like to know what is the acceptable Insulation resistance of Neutral to Earth in a 3 Phase 380 VAC 4 wire ... where we get a 220 VAC supply from neutral to ground... 220 VAC is supplying computer, Lighting, water cooler and some CCTV loads

Are there any website that have this information?

Thank You very much

I think the question refers to what is acceptible resistance to ground of the "grounding electrode(s) system".

In USA the NEC (Nat'l Elecric Code) requires a second means (ie drive a second ground stake) of grounding if resistance from one means (metal water pipe or ground stake) is more than 25 ohm.

SO this leads me to interpret this as the resistance to ground must be 25 ohm or less.

Dan Bentler

Insulation testing requires there be a certain amount of resistance per feet/meter. It is not as simple a process as connecting a megger and getting a zero volt reading.

This application guide from Fluke offers details of doing resistance testing.
http://www.fluke.com/Application_Notes/ElectricalPower/InsulTestAppNote2.pdf

Testing wiring and cable installations
When testing wires or cables, they should be disconnected from panels and machinery to keep them isolated. The wires and cables should be tested against each other and against ground (see Figure 4 on page​
4). The Insulated Power Cable Engineers Association (IPCEA)provides the following formula that suggests minimum insulation resistance values.​
R = K x Log10 (D/d)
R
- Ms per 1000 feet (305 meters) of cable. Based on dc test potential of 500 volts, applied for one minute at 15.6C (60F)temperature)
K - Insulation material constant.(For example: Impregnated Paper-2640, Varnished Cambric-2460, Thermoplastic Polyethlene-50000, Composite Polyethylene-30000)
D - Outside diameter of conductor insulation for single conductor wire and cable D = d + 2c + 2b diameter of single conductor cable
d - Diameter of conductor
c - Thickness of conductor insulation
b - Thickness of jacket insulation
For example, one thousand feet of number 6 A.W.G. Heat Resistant Natural Rubber insulation type stranded conductor with 0.125 insulation thickness will have K = 10,560 and Log10 (D/d) = 0.373 inches. According to the formula (R = K x Log10 (D/d), R = 10,560 x 0.373 = 3,939 Mper 1000 feet) the expected minimum insulation resistance for single conductor per thousand feet at temperature of 60F will be 3,939 M

The ICEA (formerly IPCEA) offers information concerning wire standards.
http://www.icea.net/Public_Pages/Documents/documents.html

In many cases the wire/cable data sheet may offer the expected insulation resistance.

Well, over here, most guys dont bother,

Some people Tie the GROUND to the NEUTRAL ( a very bad practice)

In general ppl dont go up for measuring resistance over here, atleast in normal projects, however, there is a common thinking that when you attach a Multimeter to the Neutral and GRound, the value in voltage should not exceed 2 volts, and 0 volt is considered that somewhere in the plant, some nice guy just shorted the NEUTRAL and GROUND together

hi there

the minimum distance between the two ground must be atleat 3 Mtrs, and will vary as per the moisture content of the soil.
Take care of this fact.
manmet

Insulation Resistance of Neutral to Ground..

Thank You guys for the replies....