Vibration Resistance PLC/HMI - Mobile Application

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all!

I have an application where we have a industrial trailer (ie: connected to a commercial truck / cab). The trailer will have some instrumentation (temp, pressure) and some solenoids. I've been asked to explore PLC and HMI options.

The system would only be powered up (from an external power source) while parked, but I am concerned about the components while in transit - particularly the PLC and HMI, but also the wiring and cabling. There is also a need to communicate externally with another PLC from another system.

I'm used to fixed asset control systems. Would prefer Siemens but concerned about the application in this case. I noticed Siemens does have a product line designed for Rail applications.

Does anyone have some recommendations?

Thanks

You will be pleased to know that we have had much success with the S7-200 standard range, and then the S7-1200 standard range on mobile applications. These machines are the size of a small caravan and are either being moved across country on the back of a flatbed, or dragged a few miles behind large farm type tractors. For HMIs we have been using Redlion Graphite Outdoor version HMIs, I never like saying 'no failures', because you can be sure the phone will go in the next 5 mins with a problem.

We am going to be trying a new HMI from Exor for a job that mounts on the back of a farm tractor, it is only 5 inch, but that will be fine on this job. It is IP66/7 front and back and -30C to +70C operating temperature range.
https://www.exorint.com/en/product/rugged-hmi-xa5
http://www.exorint.net/docs/0/ED1DCDD55EBB4CB9C1258805003D0472/$File/ptn0716_XA5.pdf

If you are really bothered about vibration problems then look at using anti-vibration mounts for the electrical enclosures.

If you are really bothered about vibration problems then look at using anti-vibration mounts for the electrical enclosures.

This was going to be my recommendation as well, but many PLC enclosures are mounted directly on a machine or skid that produces lots of vibration for long periods of time with little to no issue. Obviously it's always better to reduce vibration as much as possible, but I don't think a bit of vibration from driving around is going to hurt it much more than the constant high frequency vibration from a motor.

Thank you both.
Do either of you have any experience with the new Siemens Unified Comfort Panels?