rs232 circuit

bigjoe

anybody here who knows the circuit of rs232 converter which have a db9 female terminal? where can i find one đź“š

Please clarify: converter to or from what? A converter has two sides, you only mention one (RS232 9pin DB female).

[edit]Ken , you beat me by seconds![/edit]

Regards,

sorry guys, I have a mitsubishi fx0 plc I cannot load the program because i don't have rs232 converter or interface i am not sure if i use the right term. The connection goes like this: computer(com1,9pin)----RS232----(9pin)PLC. The software that I am using is Medoc.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

thanks, need help!

9pin both sides. connection goes like this: computer(com1, 9pin)----RS232----(9pin)PLC.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

thanks.

You can't assume that because a serial connection has a DB-9 pin configuration, it is RS-232. You also can't assume that each RS-232/DB-9 connector has the same connections. PCs are standardized, everything else is up for grabs.

Get the manual and/or talk to your local representative for each device you are trying to connect. They should be able to provide the pinouts for each port. Also find out if you are going to need to tie some of the pins together with jumpers. For example, tying CTS (Clear to Send) and RTS (Ready to Send) is often required to enable a PC to send and receive data.

You can't assume that because a serial connection has a DB-9 pin configuration, it is RS-232. You also can't assume that each RS-232/DB-9 connector has the same connections. PCs are standardized, everything else is up for grabs.

Anything that states its RS232 should be too that standard. I agree that a DB9 connector may not be RS232.

There are no standards for pinouts for any generic connector or generic protocol. If standards exit, why are 25 pin RS232 computer ports normally connected DCE but the 9 pin equivalents are DTE?

Jim Dungar said:
There are no standards for pinouts for any generic connector or generic protocol. If standards exit, why are 25 pin RS232 computer ports normally connected DCE but the 9 pin equivalents are DTE?

I am not sure what you are saying. RS232 is a standard and has specific pinout connections. http://www.camiresearch.com/Data_Com_Basics/RS232_standard.html
DTERS232.gif

Ron, the pinouts you show are for a PC port only. I have worked with many PLCs and related components that have different pinouts. For example, CH0 on a SLC 5/03 match the PC pinouts, but those on the PanelView are different, having 2 and 3 swapped. Other devices have both RS232 and RS-485 on the same DB-9.

I never assume that the pinouts match PC "standards".

I said generic devices have no standards. Yes, Personal Computers do for RS232, but it ends there. Also not every device supports every pin (look at handshaking with modems versus PLCs).

I am going to politely disagree here. If a device states an RS232 connection then it must conform to that standard. (NOTE: A DB9 connector does not mean its RS232.) The picture above shows a DTE connection which a PC and PLC will be.
DTE=Data Terminal Equipment: A "smart" device" PC PLC etc
DCE=Data Circuit-terminating Equipment: not smart device Panelview, modem etc

The next picture is DCE connections...note that 2 and 3 are swapped from the DTE.

Connecting 2 like devices would require a null modem cable...ie DTE to DTE or DCE to DCE will need to have 2 and 3 swapped.

Connecting DTE to DCE is straight thru because its already swapped.

Its possible to have RS232 and RS485 translator connected to a single port, the pinout is similar.
DCERS232.gif

ADDENDUM: The manual for Standard Panelview shows the 9 pin port as DCE. The SLC manual does not state DTE but the pinout connections do follow the RS232 standard for a DTE device.

I am not sure what you mean by generic device, I am refering to devices that states the connection is RS232.

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
I am going to politely disagree here. If a device states an RS232 connection then it must conform to that standard. (NOTE: A DB9 connector does not mean its RS232.)

I think you are assuming way too much. Just because there is a standard (whether its PC only, or in general) I think you're making a big leap of faith that all vendors that use and state RS232 will have fully conformed to the standard.

From this web site explaining the RS232 standard:
"If the full EIA232 standard is implemented as defined ... If all devices exactly followed this standard, all cables would be identical, and there would be no chance that an incorrectly wired cable could be used."