S7200 Communication frame

hasanx

Hello All,
Does anyone knows how to communicate in S7200 (RS 232 8N1)?
For example i wanna force a coil though GPRS connection.
I use Borland C++ to communicate with PLC and GSM modem(GT 47).
Thanks.

Hello Hassanx;

The comm. port of a S7-200 uses PPI protocol over a RS-485 connection; to use RS-232 to communicate with it, you will need a PC/PPI cable (from Siemens), either RS-232 DB9 or USB.
You can switch the comm. port to Freeport protocol, which you can use in ASCII mode, for example, for your application.
For a better view of details, I suggest you download 2 files from the Siemens support website:
http://www4.ad.siemens.de/-snm-0135030360-1078737597-0000010179-0000000017-1079359750-enm-WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&changelang=true&aktprim=0&siteid=cseus&lang=en

First, look for the S7-200_e.pdf file, with an excellent chapter on communications with a S7-200 CPU. It will give you a good idea of what is required.
Second, get the "S7-200 Tips and Tricks" download; it consists of application notes and sample programs covering all kinds of uses of the S7-200, amongst others networking and freeport programming.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

"forcing a coil"

There tends to be some misconception about what "forcing a coil" means in Step 7. (Microwin or Simatic Manager- this is probably true of other brands as well.) In order for it to be "forcing a coil", then it has to be in your forced state at the end of every scan, without fail. You can do this through a "Forcing" capability of the Processor using the programming software. I believe there is a functionality in Protool for this as well.

You can modify or write to a register or address using almost anything, including the programming software. I belive you want to change this value not force it. If you want to get sophisticated there are some "SDK"s sold by Siemens on how to develop PPI driver for a VB application. There are however, some fairly reasonable priced OPC ((OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) for Process Control)--had to show off:) ) servers out there that you should be able to use. If you only have a few items and want to economize (translated- spend alot of your time but no actual dollars) then you can use the freeport function (much more limited htough). I have used and it and it is not too hard. Good Luck

Last edited: