12-bit Digital to Analog Converter

rstech

I need to find a 12-bit digital (24VDC) to analog (0-10VDC) converter and was wondering if anyone could suggest a brand or specific product.

I found one from Weidmuller, type RS D12, but was hoping to have a couple of brands to choose from.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

Thanks Andrew, but it looks like Phoenix Contact only has an 8-bit DAC, not a 12-bit. They definitely have some nice products, I've really only used their terminals. Looks like I'll have to try some of their other offerings.

rsdoran, thanks for the links but I checked each one of them and I can only find signal conditioners (ex. 4-20ma to 0-10VDC, etc.) and not any Digital to Analog Converters that can take a 12-bit digital bus and convert to analog.

I did a Google search using ["Digital to Analog" 12-bit] and got a ton of hits. Didn't look at many myself, but there ought to be a vendor or two in there somewhere.

Steve

rstech,

I am curious about a couple of things.

You mentioned that the digital signal is 24 VDC...what is your device that you are wanting to convert to an analog signal?

I don't see why what you are looking to do (with the information you have provided) can't be done with a PLC with digital inputs and an analog output.

I am not familiar with pricing from other companies, but we offer a configuration that starts at under $300.00.

Or...do you want to read a 0-24 VDC signal and convert it to a 0-10 VDC signal to bring into a PLC?

If that is the case, we have provided solutions for this as well.

I am not certain if this is what you are looking for, however check out this link - http://www.acromag.com/parts.cfm?Model_ID=50&Product_Function_ID=11&Category_ID=8&Group_ID=2

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

I would go with Phoenix Conntact.

I use them sveral time with very good experience.

I used a model with 12 bit.they have also 8 bit too.
Model MCR-DAC 12/U-10 B/MSTB

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Stephen.

Stephen Luft said:
rstech,

I am curious about a couple of things.

You mentioned that the digital signal is 24 VDC...what is your device that you are wanting to convert to an analog signal?,

Unfortunately I have no idea, I assume it is some kind of PLC or PC-based system. There are multiple contractors involved in this project all of which are given specific tasks. My customer (who is one of the contractors) needs to be able to accept this 12-bit signal but the circuit board he needs to control accepts 0-10VDC. Controlling and providing the 12-bit signal is the responsibility of another contractor.

Stephen Luft said:
I don't see why what you are looking to do (with the information you have provided) can't be done with a PLC with digital inputs and an analog output.,

Yes, absolutely it could be done with a PLC but as mentioned above, a different company has been hired for that part of the job. I know if I was the "PLC guy" on this job, it wouldn't be an issue because I would just use an analog output card on the PLC. Unfortunately, we only have the spec we were given and have to be able to accept the 12-bit signal even though it probably means additional hardware and work for everyone involved.

Stephen Luft said:
I am not familiar with pricing from other companies, but we offer a configuration that starts at under $300.00.

Or...do you want to read a 0-24 VDC signal and convert it to a 0-10 VDC signal to bring into a PLC?,

No, I don't need a signal conditioner, I need a digital to analog converter. We are receiving 12 discrete signals (24VDC) which represent a value we need to convert to a 0-10VDC analog signal. For example if the Least Signicant Bit is on and the other 11 are off, the output of DAC would be 1*10/(2^12)=0.00244 Volts.

Stephen Luft said:
If that is the case, we have provided solutions for this as well.

I am not certain if this is what you are looking for, however check out this link - http://www.acromag.com/parts.cfm?Model_ID=50&Product_Function_ID=11&Category_ID=8&Group_ID=2

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

ArikBY said:
I would go with Phoenix Conntact.

I use them sveral time with very good experience.

I used a model with 12 bit.they have also 8 bit too.
Model MCR-DAC 12/U-10 B/MSTB
Thanks ArikBY, I searched the Phoenix Contact web page and can only find the 8-bit model, I will follow up with Phoenix Contact about the 12-bit; it's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

This sounds to me horribly like a situation where everybody - customer, main contractor and sub-contractors - needs to sit down and discuss exactly what is required and how best to achieve it. The current situation seems guaranteed to lead to excessive costs, never mind potential compatability problems.

I sure wouldn't want to be involved with the project as it now stands (admittedly possibly wrongly understood from the posts up till now).

RMA said:
I sure wouldn't want to be involved with the project as it now stands (admittedly possibly wrongly understood from the posts up till now).

I apologize if I made it sound worse than it really is. I just need a 12-bit digital to analog converter because someone decided they wanted to provide a 12-bit signal. As far as the state of the project goes, I doubt this minor issue will undermine its success. They may have wanted to control it with a 4-20mA signal instead in which case I would need a signal conditioner. No biggie, just need to accomodate! I just wanted some opinions of possible brands to use. Thanks.

After Googling I see your problem - the references are either to the actual chips or to boards for mounting in a computer. I didn't see anything, in my quick perusal, of a stand alone DIN rail mountable (I suppose) form of Digital to Analog convertor. Good luck.

I think your best bet is to use a brick PLC like an AB MicroLogix 1000.

The 1761-L20BWB-5A model runs on 24VDC power and has the required 12 dc inputs and a 15 bit 0-10VDC Analog output.

Hopefully the requried response time for this conversion is not faster than the processor scan time.

The entire program would consist of reading the number from the inputs and scaling the output for the analog.