Air purging system for HV motors

elkawafi

Hi Every body

I would like to know more about air purging system for different 480V motors, can any body help me for documentation on the priciple, design ..etc
Could you please send me your answer at my email address
[email protected]
Thank you for your help in advace

Elkawaf

You are going to have to be more specific about your needs. Unless you are using a very large 480V motor, the need for forced air purging is usually not necessary. The standard TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) motor will run just fine at nameplate values and conditions. If you are using the motor in an unusually hot application, then you may need to supply external air moving equipment but it is not all that complex to do. Also, responses to questions are handled in the forum in this manner, not by email. Doing things that way makes the information available to more people than just the one person who asked the question.

First, I agree with Randy. Typically forced air is not required if the proper motor is selected and in "normal" environments. One other reason I know of where purging is useful is in potentially explosive environments.

I am not qualified to say what all might be required for doing this safely, but I do know it is done.

Steve

Those Exair systems are extremely noisy and constatnly blow air. If you are in a plant that wants to eliminate air loss in their plant air system, then this isn't it. I usually use a small cabinet AC.

In hazardous environments, we purge systems all the time. As Steve said, the purpose of the purge can be to remove explosive gasses from the motors in case of failures.

Even with the above having been said, what is the purpose for your purge system? Are you installing the motor in a classified area? What level of classification? Are there any authorities for which certification is required? UL, CSA, CE-Mark, ABS, DNV, Coast Guard... there are a million controlling agencies. If you need multiple certifications (how about an American-flagged vessel operating in the North Sea for a Norwegian oil drilling company?) then that's going to determine much concerning your choices for purge systems.

We had a presentation by an "everyone approved" purge system about three years ago. I don't know where the literature is, but if I find it, I'll post it. They pay beau coups dollars annually to keep their certifications on their purge systems. As long as you install to their specs, you're certified. Of course, you pay a little more for their systems, but if you need the certification, you either get it yourself (usually by paying for the agency's inspector to individually vet your design) or get an approved system.

I'd suggest an internet search on your part, and then more information.

If you need an Exair-type system, then you're cooling, not purging your cabinet. Is this what you need, or is it a purge system that you need?