Need of part!

Greg Dake

Hello everyone......we're in a bit of a jam, we had a short occur in a panel and took out some process RTD MUX cards. They are Kiethley CIO-EXP-GP cards, anyone know where we can get one? The "new" version of this card which Keithley supplies doensn't seem to work in our application, they may have changed the new card too much. They can repair our older ones for us, but the turnaround time is about 3 weeks....I've searched PLCCENTER.COM and haven't had much luck elsewhere. I called the OEM which we purchased the machine from 10 years ago, they don't stock any either....

TIA,

Greg

Greg,

I suppose that this Keithley CIO-EXP-GP card takes temperature readings from many RTD sensors and sends the data in a serial multiplexed mode in to a PLC over a single cable? If so, you can always wire the RTDs in straight. It would take a lot of work, and a bunch of new Input cards in the PLC.

I would go ahead and send the old one back for repair, then figure out what to do in the meantime. 3 weeks will pass in no time at all, and the problem will still be there.

Thanks for the reply....yes, it takes in many RTD's and sends them via one ribbon cable. This would be easy if it were a PLC, but it's not, it's an old DOS PC with ISA slots.....and there's zero room for expansion there. This is also a validated process, meaning any change would require revalidation.....waiting for the repaired card would be quicker.....

Greg

Yes, we did contact them....In fact we got the "new" rev card which did not appear to work. (however I got a call from the instrument guy on the way home and he thinks he may have gotten it to work). So we could be in the clear here. The old card hasn't been made for probably 5 years or so.....appreciate the input 🍻

Greg

Update

These cards were origionally made by Measurement Computing....they just aren't made anymore and we can't find anyone with a few spares. We're upgrading the systems which use these cards, but we still need to get by for about a year or so with them. We got the equivelant replacements to work somewhat ok. The neat thing is Measurement computing is willing to blow the dust of their old jigs and molds for these cards and make us a few.....of course the kicker will be the first one will cost $2,000 and each additional will be $200. I found it appealing in them that the option is at least available...

Greg