OT: Toymaker 3000

akreel

Guys!

You've got to see the Toymaker 3000 exhibit at The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. It's an automated assembly line, controlled by I-don't-know-how-many ControlLogix L-55 processors. The control panels have glass covers, so you can see all the gizmos! DROOOL...

My girlfriend made me breeze through there, but I got this nifty new Avatar.

AK

Aaron,

We've seem to have missed each other??? I was there Saturday. If you saw a bearded red-headed guy chasing a 3 ft. clone...that was the kid & I.

The toy factory was very cool. AB ControlLogix PLC doing all sorts of stuff. My kid got a personalized top.

Did you go through U-505? More MG sets then you could shake a stick at.

How bout' them Human Bodys? Now I know what my lungs look like: YUCK! Time to quit maybe???

Too bad we missed....

Rick Densing said:
How is he supposed to take that?

Yeah that might not sound right. I just meant is it showing you looking at it.

My wife and I are going downtown for our anniversary this weekend, I'm trying to convince her to go to the museum but I know I'll enjoy it more than she will and I know she won't want to see the body worlds thing.

Last edited:
glaverty,

The Body Worlds is a MUST! It's not at all like the aftermath of a car wreck. I took my 7 year old. When he found out he didnt want to go in the exhibit, but once in I had to keep reminding him not to touch the exhibit pieces.

BTW, Aarons avtar is one of the robots from the Toy Factory. They mounted screens on the robot arms and the guy is a video tape giving the rundown on the automation thing, selling the tune that Automation dosnt take away jobs but enhances them. I had to snicker at this because I havent seen an elevator operator in a monkey suit in 20 years...(my own perspective...)

Oh Yea....If you want to get a tour of U-505, be sure to ASK for a ticket when your getting your general admission tickets. They dont advertise this but it's a seperate ticket with a fixed time stamp.

Last edited:
elevmike said:
I had to snicker at this because I havent seen an elevator operator in a monkey suit in 20 years...(my own perspective...)

I haven't replaced anyone with automation. But, the machines I built didn't create 20 new jobs for Coverall-Joe to stand about gawking all day, either. They created a handful of positions for people with technical know-how, and a handful of positions for monkeys with sticks. Those were previously unfilled positions. Since we didn't need a barrel of monkeys, we had our pick of the litter and got (hopefully) higher quality results.

I really liked the Body Worlds exhibit. I wasn't sure if I would. The horse was COOL. I'm not a big fan of "The Runner," because I don't see any scientific value in that pose. You didn't miss me Mike, my girlfriend works Saturdays. So, we went yesterday.

And Yes, it is my face. Haven't you seen my "Talkstar" avatar, yet?

AK

Aaron,

Much of what Body Worlds was about art. Most of the poses were (IMO) to give a more artistic effect. I thought the slice of the fat guy on the table was pretty revealing though....

elevmike said:
Much of what Body Worlds was about art. Most of the poses were (IMO) to give a more artistic effect. I thought the slice of the fat guy on the table was pretty revealing though....

Mmmmm... Fat guy. My girlfriend was asking me about the female organs in the display case next to that. I said "Geez, I don't even know how they're supposed to work when they're attached." That got a little chuckle out of the other woman at the display.

Did you notice that there was maybe only one good set of lungs in the exhibit? Why do you suppose that is?

Did you take your kid into the "Game On" exhibit? I skipped it and would like to know if I should go back. I know I'll have to go back for the U-505. I really liked the new hall they built for it. I like the old WWII posters, especially Rosie. Rosie rules!

AK

elevmike said:
I must have been busy with the kid cause I missed the see-your-self robot...

The robot takes your picture, then you pick a song and dance moves for it. I managed to snap the photo just before it took a bow.

Were Max and Lisa working when you were there? I didn't get to see them or the robot scramble.

AK

akreel said:
Did you notice that there was maybe only one good set of lungs in the exhibit? Why do you suppose that is?

Yea they were in a dispay case next to another smoker... All the poor suckers (including the guy with the basketball & runner must have been pretty heavy smokers...and died young..and left an otherwise good looking corps...

akreel said:
Did you take your kid into the "Game On" exhibit? I skipped it and would like to know if I should go back.

He couldnt get interested in that...too many neat games on dads computer I guess..

akreel said:
I know I'll have to go back for the U-505. I really liked the new hall they built for it. I like the old WWII posters, especially Rosie. Rosie rules!

This is what the kid really wanted to see, (me too). We just got tickets for the very last tour. Whew... A decient automation guy could lighten that boat by a good 30,000 lb. or better. Huge switch gear, LOTs of batteries, and lots of MG sets..wich today would be DC to DC converters or Drives..BTW Lots of Siemens equipment... (who won the war??).