RSView 32 Runtime and Development

DaveW

I want to modify a screen for an RSView32 application on a pc that is currently shown as runtime only. Do I need to reinstall RSView32 to get the development/edits or is it a matter of changing out the license?

Dave,

There are two major versions of RSView32, RSView32 Runtime, and RSView32 Works. The Works version is needed to make editing changes in the program. It is a seperate, more expensive license, although Works includes a "Run' version, so that you can both edit and run. If your change is minor and uncomplicated, it would probably be cheaper to E-mail your program to someone who has a copy of Works and would do the change for a small fee.

Slim chance but how many tags are in your project? If your tag count is low enough, you can open your project in 2 hour demo and make your changes. I don’t remember the count but I think it is about 35 or 65.

Bob O.

Bob,

I checked and it is 35 tags and 2 hours max in the demo mode. I think you have to have the CD disk to load in demo mode also.

Thanks, guys. I was hoping it will be like Wonderware where I can just change the license. I guess I will have to install the "Works" on my laptop, edit the program and then copy it over to the runtime pc. I hope it doesn't install all them services like the Studio version :)
Hmmm...will it coexist with RSView Studio?

Dave,

I have not used RSStudio, so I don't know if it will coexist with RSView. RSView Works does install a bunch of ****, including a "server", and several "services" to allow various network connections.

I use both RSView32 and RSView Studio on the same PC without any problems. To answer your question though, Runtime and Works are separate executables. When installing you can choose to install Works or Runtime. If the PC you are using has ONLY runtime, then it will require an installation. As Lancie1 stated, the Works package also includes a runtime, so if you see both, then both were installed.

And the demo mode does not require the CD once it has been installed.

OG

I think there is some confusion , if RSView 32 is installed , if I am not mistaken , then making the license available will turn it into WORKS , I keep a 5000 tag license on a CF card in a USB adapter . Plug it in , start View and it will be works .

Think again - I have always installed works only , and then used the RT license , I have never just installed the RT , didn't cross my mind as an option , maybe you should disregard what I said above

Is it possible to modify RSView32 Runtime application by copying and renaming file, edit it in the RSview32 Works, and run it in the second RSview32 Runtime - all in the same computer?

My company just bought one license for this and it is now monitoring processes all the time. At the same time, I was assigned to customize the screen appearance without interrupting all the monitoring process.

I have the 2 hour demo version on my laptop too - but I was told that it is limited to works on application that has no more than 35 tags associate with it.

Any HMI gurus out there could explain more on this matter? Thanks!!!

nurul said:
Is it possible to modify RSView32 Runtime application by copying and renaming file, edit it in the RSview32 Works, and run it in the second RSview32 Runtime - all in the same computer?
Assuming you didn't disable the Project manager, you can then bring up project manager by pressing ALT-CTL-P, select the editing tab, edit your graphic or whatever, save it. The next time the same graphic is called up it should be the updated version. So, in short, YES.

Oh, no need to rename anything and no need to have more than one instance of RSView32 running either.

Always install WORKS, even if you have a runtime license. The license will still activate only the runtime - but if you later need to edit then its a simple matter to install a WORKS activation, make the change, then remove the WORKS activation. The only time I might consider installing only RUNTIME is in an OEM situation.

I'm thinking about the possibility of having another application/file that does the same thing as the original, but with improved features. I'll have to modify this new/renamed file and show to my boss and see if he'll approved.

In addition, I'm an intern who is new to this field, and I dont wanna mess with the original application that was worth couple thousand dollars to set this up earlier.