Modicon 484

ian smith

I
Hi everyone,
Heres a question for someone with a long memory.
Can a Computer (or P230 programming panel) be connected directly to a modicon 484 plc or is the j470 interface required?

I have some Talor Industrial Software written to program the 484 but the only comm cable diagrams are for use with the j470 (or similar) interface. However the text of the manual infers a direct connection can be made computer to 484. Cable Schematic anyone?

I have tried to locate Taylor Industrial Software of Canada but I think they may have stopped trading.

I also have a copy of modsoft which i think could be used.

The Plc's are located some hundreds of miles from my place of work and the people there are not to familiar with what is required.They are still using a cassete recorder to transfer programs from tape!

Any help or pointers in the right direction apprieciated.

cheers ian smith ( ian.smith7atntlworld.com )

The last time I had any hands-on experience with a Modicon 484 was at least 15 years ago, so I guess I pass the long memory qualification.

Whenever I had to communicate with a 484, I used the P180 or P190 prgramming terminal (cassete tape program storage) communicating through a J474 interface. I don't think Modicon ever added an RS232 or RS422 port to the 484. By the time they came out with programming software that ran on a PC instead of a dedicated programmer, Modicon's flagship PLC was no longer the 484.

I also checked through some connection manuals for the PanelMate and Quick Panel HMIs. In the case of the PanelMate, they show communications with the 484 through a J474 adapter. The Quick Panel manual that I have, only shows connections to the 884 and 984 models.

Taylor Software was sold to Total Control Products which was then bought by GE-Fanuc.

According to http://www.modicon.com
Question: Can either the P190 or a PC running ProWorx 484 connect directly to the 484?

Answer: No. Both the P190 and a PC running ProWorx 484 require a EIA interface to connect to the 484. The part number of this interface was a AS-J470-000

Thanks for your repies and Info I suspected as much.
The world is never as easy as you like it to be.
ian