GFCI Help what am I doing wrong?

LStewart

I know this isn't about PLC help but I have seen many electrical problems solved here. I never had the opportunity to hook up one of these and could use some guidance. I am running the electrical for a pool at my house and have run 220VAc off of a 2pole breaker from the house along with a ground and neutral. This is going to a disconnect at the pool. At the pool I have a 2pole GFCI in the box I connected my ground to the ground bar. On the breaker there are 3 connections, 2 Load power terminals and a load neutral. There is a white pigtail that came on the breaker,that I hooked to the neutral bar, and ran my motor leads to the load power terminals. I took the "house" neutral to the load neutral terminal. When I turn on the breaker it trips immediately. I disconnected the neutral pigtail to the bar and have voltage on it to ground. The only way I can keep power to the motor is to bypass the GFCI. Of course this is just temporary until I figure out what is wrong. I want this to be as safe as I can make it and am not hooking up any other circuits till I get this figured out. If you could give me some guidance, I will appreciate it.
Lori

If I understand you, you have connected the line side neutral to the load side neutral. What is the load side neutral voltage to ground with it disconnected?

Brian.

Strike the above answer. I just went out and checked the voltage from the circuit breaker pigtail to ground. 0v. I have a "house" ground run out to the box and it is connected to the neutral bar, and I also sunk a ground rod but I have not grounded anything to it yet. I have 0v from the "pigtail" to both the ground rod and house ground. Right now, I have the "house" neutral run to the "load neutral" terminal. The pigtail is not connected to anything. As soon as I touch the pigtail to the neutral bar, the breaker trips. Looks like I may have to get my retired "real" electrician friend over and pick him a bushel or two of black-eyed peas. I am at a loss. Everything I have read I had it connected correctly, but obviously something is not right.

As far as I understand it, a connection between the 'load neutral' and ground IS a ground fault and is detected by the GFCI. The 'load hot' and the 'load neutral' are only run to the load. But definately get your "real' electrician friend over to check. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks Bernie, I will even if it means picking peas!! It just frustrates me that I can't figure this out. This isn't something I do everyday. I will take an assembly line problem anyday over this. I guess I have been on vacation too long and may have to be retrained!!

Remove the "house" neutral from the load neutral connection on the breaker and connect it to the neutral bar in the panel. Remove the house ground from the neutral bar and connect it to the ground lug. Reconnect the breaker pigtail to the neutral bar in the panel. There will be no connection to the load neutral on the GFCI breaker as there is no load neutral to the pump motor. If there is a fault to ground in the motor the GFCI senses the imballanced current to the load and trips the breaker. Hope this helps.