OPC server for Siemens

ekkho

Hi all,

Do you have any suggestion on which OPC server that is good to be used to communicate with Siemens Ethernet TCP/IP, especially Siemens S7, other than WinCC ? Any experience with KEP or other OPC server ?

Thanks

KEP would probably be the first driver I'd consider. I think they made an effort to stick to the OPC standards, and didn't try to invent anything. That goes a long way when it comes to compatability issues.

AK

Siemens own Simatic Softnet Ethernet Lean is a cheap alternative up to max 8 connections.
It can be a little tricky to setup, but not impossible.

Deltalogic also makes good OPC servers for Siemens Ethernet.

Kepware has got to be 1st choice, easy to use and cheap.
We use Kepware for every OPC installation where possible plus you can evaluate the OPC server for free by just downloading the KEPServer. 2 hour time limited Demo

I just completed a Siemens S7 project. We connected an S7 Ethernet Card to a PC running Wonderware Intouch. We used the S7 Ethernet Driver from Software Toolbox as the comm link and it performed well. I haven't had any comm issues and it is very stable. I would highly recommend them. Also, I have other servers out there from Software Toolbox for Controllogix and they are great. They upgrade really easy with no issues.. Just make sure the service is shut down before upgrading..

Hope this helps!!!!!

Hi,
I have only used the old six driver with the old Fix32 & the newer simatic one (What a beast, it certainly needs taming, it takes ages to load or try to find hardware etc).
I have a friend that has used one from INAT (germany I believe), as far as I am aware this worked well & you can get a download that will let you try it for a limited time (2 hrs runtime).
Note Kepware is the same so it's good you can try before you buy.