PLC Training

kalakotarrr

Iam rookie to PLC........ Is it good to take a training on Siemens [S5] PLC. While learning on what factors should I concentrate more...... Waiting for your valuable suggestion..........

If anyone find mistakes, please excuse me............

Last edited:
I do not use Siemens much, but think that S7 training would be much better to learn.

I am not sure, but I think S5 is pretty old, and not sure how it relates.

Probably the best to learn is Allen Bradley.

A good way to learn PLC's is the book and tapes offered on this sie. See "Learn PLC's above.

regards.....casey

From my own (limited) experience with S5 and S7, and i'm sure I will be corrected here, they seem to be more closely related than they need to be.

When creating S7, Siemens had the chance to produce a fantastic package but hung on to too many of the old S5 quirks.

A Siemens rep once told me this was because their main market (Germany) were reluctant to make the switch, and so to entice them, they tried to keep the look and feel of S5.

Just my own thoughts....

Last edited:
Due to your location Siemens training would be worthwhile BUT getting training on S5 is no longer possible (here in the UK anyway) direct from Siemens but your local office will be able to recommend a company for this OR take S7 training provided by Siemens direct.

If you are going to be working on new installations I would go for the S7, older intalls take the S5.

It certainly can't hurt to take a class in the mechanics of how to program the particular PLC.

However, those classes generally do nothing to teach anyone how to develop a process. That is simply beyond the scope of any typical PLC Training Class.

Typical PLC Training Classes show you the tools that are available, for the particular PLC, and then provide examples of how those tools can be used in a particular, custom-fitted, process.

Those classes are quite a bit like teaching the tail to wag the dog!

Pretty soon, if he continues with his degree program, Ron will agree.

There's a hell of a lot more to developing a process than simply being familiar with the particular functions available from a particular PLC.

In fact, being constrained to only those functions and the related examples that are illustrated in one of those classes is crippling... in terms of real world process development.

Any PLC user can be an Instuctor at a PLC Seminar.

Get Real...

Considering the time constaints... how much can they really teach?