Data Logging w/ AB

ijf0

Everyone -

I am still somewhat new to PLCs and their advanced options so I'm hoping you will be able to help me out with a simple project.

Our plant has a ~24-30 hour process which mgt. would like to be able to monitor the process and log the data from the process to be linked to the product's specific batch number.

Currently the process is controlled by a Micrologix 1000 PLC (we know we'll probably have to upgrade since the 1000 is already maxed out for I/Os)

They (mgt) would like to add a touch panel to the controls and have the operators enter the batch #s as they are loaded (only 1 batch at a time). The operator would also have to enter their employee number before the process is allowed to start.

Once the process is running we need to log a specific analog input value in relation to time/date and batch number. As well as any errors/faults that occur during the process

HOW??????? what is the simplest method for this?

Mgt right now is talking about purchasing one of those industrial computers to place in the panel, installing Lookout on it and using lookout to monitor the PLC ... I dont really like this idea -- Seems like a cob job to me.

We need to stick with AB as we are trying to standardize to their products.

Also, mgt would like the ability to easily retrieve data and make printouts of the data possibly in chart form.

Can anyone make recommendations?

My opinion is just have the operators make hand charts -- seems easier at this point. LOL.

Thanks
-IJF

Look at getting RSView Studio ME (Allen-Bradley) and using that as a HMI and a datalogger at the same time. You can hook up a panelview plus or computer to use as the screen. It will do simple data logs, store and graph the trends.

Thanks LJBMatt, is there a good website for an introduction to RSView? I have never used it before and would hesitate to buy it before I knew the basics of it.

-IJF

An inexpensive option

Too bad you have to stick with A-B, you're stuck with adding a PC + software (+ annual maintenance fees) to the system. (If you're trying to standardize on A-B this will be an ongoing phenomenon!)

With a SoftPLC you wouldn't need to do this - the controller itself has the memory and ability (via a ladder instruction) to do the data logging internally, and then you could use a web page to display the data and do the recipe selection. No software license fees or annual support contract, plus you can use any old browser-only PC and save money on that side too!

If you are into writing your own VB programs, you may be able to use the FREE .NET DF1 driver from Tomantron

http://www.tomantron.com/

The creator posts to the forum pretty regularly so perhaps he can comment on whether it will do what you are asking. It's nice because it's free. Of course, then you have to be able to write the logging code and maintain it yourself.

I do not like soft PLC - who would trust their process to Bill Gates? PLC is a better option.

Have a good look at Citect for the data logging side - www.citect.com. It is really good.

Have a look at Red Lion Controls G3 HMI, this will log data to Compact flash memory and your operators can enter batch data, it will also give you an ethernet connection to a remote PC to down load the data or view it using a web browser. To connect to the ML1000 it uses DF1 on its RS232 port. I have not used it but I was looking at it for a similar application in the food industry.

Cody said:
Too bad you have to stick with A-B, you're stuck with adding a PC + software (+ annual maintenance fees) to the system. (If you're trying to standardize on A-B this will be an ongoing phenomenon!)
AB doesnt offer software or ethernet devices that will store the data to a networked folder? -- Even if I had to write a little Access database to sort the data. Although I would still like to be able to print a graph for (at least) the most recent cycle on a printer connected to the display panel -- If possible.

AB isnt 100% set in stone, but It'd be harder to get anything else approved since we a trying hard to standardize stuff.

FasTrak SoftWorks Inc has a great, inexpensive SCADA product called ControlShop, that consists of seperate modules including a standalone Data Logger, Data Trender, Alarm Annunciator, and a Batch Manager. FasTrak has distributors and integrators we work with in your area also.
www.fast-soft.com -- [email protected]

If you are just logging data have a look at canary trend.

http://www.canarylabs.com

I tossed the trend object in RSView on one project in favor of canary's active X trending, but the canary logger/trender is also a stand alone product.

It has good tools for continuous as well as batch trending and an easy to use set of Excel tools for sending the data to MSExcel.

Last edited:
BobB said:
I do not like soft PLC - who would trust their process to Bill Gates? PLC is a better option.

Have a good look at Citect for the data logging side - www.citect.com. It is really good.
SoftPLC is a tradename for an embedded control technology that doesn't run on Windows (www.softplc.com). Some companies try (tried) to implement PC based control on Windows (which is a bad idea and I agree with you on that!). Those other company's products have given "SoftPLC" a bad name, but the technologies are totally different.

SoftPLC(R) is very reliable because of the way the company designed the product and their hardware products as well. We use their Tealware(TM) PLC for controlling a sawmill (dirty/vibration) and no problems in 8 years! We never would have considered using a Windows PC for this application.

There are a number of companies that offer driver toolkits to tie custom C/C++ or VB programs to an A-B. Rockwell Software, Parajat and SoftPLC Corp all come to mind.