E700 Ethernet setup

Rhonda

Hi all,

Just created an account - this is the first question I've had that I haven't been able to find an answer for in the archives :) (I'm new to PLC programming - saw ladder logic for the first time in March!)

Anyhow, I'm trying to get an E700 HMI to talk to the plant's PC via ethernet so I can set up the computer to automatically download the trendlines the HMI collects. (Right now the operators have to open the PLC cabinet and hook up the serial cable every 10 days to get the trendlines, and I, my boss, and the operators would prefer that this were automated.)

So anyhow, I went through the manual and followed all the instructions...

Connection1 is filled in with the IP/Subnet/Gateway/DNS provided by IT services. Connection1 is attached to IFC ETTP in expansion slot 1.

Network services has application transfer, FTP, terminal controller, and WWW server checked, all ports left at defaults

When the project was transferred and the E700 was rebooting, the correct IP address showed on the screen.

When ethernet was plugged in to connect the E700 and the hub, the LINK light turned on on both ends.

But... when I try to FTP or browse to the E700 by its IP address, I get "document contains no data" or "connection timed out".

Before I get the error message, after the request starts:

RxD light blinks slowly
TxD light never turns on
SEL light flashes once or twice early in the request

From this I conclude that the computer's request is getting to the HMI (RxD light comes on) but the HMI isn't replying at all.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this?
If you need more information about the setup to help me, ask and it shall be provided :)

No I couldn't, but I couldn't ping google either...

(but I could get google's web page, go figure)

Last edited:
I doubt it will work if you can't ping it.

I have several E700 on ethernet around one of my installations.

I can ping them all, generally if you can't ping it, it can't be seen on the network!.

Also what driver are you using on the setup of the E700

Oh, and I figured my computer's ping was broken when I couldn't ping google...

I don't know if I can't ping the E700 because it's not responding to ethernet or if it's because my computer isn't sending pings properly.

Google at one time rejected ICMP type 8 (ping)messages and may be doing it again so try yahoo or something else.

Another possibility is your IT department rejects ICMP type 8 messages, if so you may not be able to go through the company server using ping.

Around 2003, because of worms etc, companies started filtering ICMP packets.

zx6r: the PLC driver is QnA/Q CPU Protocol/QnA Series 3.01

rsdoran: I think you're right, the company must be blocking pings. I can't ping google, or yahoo, or my home computer... they all fail with a timeout error.