Close range ultrasonic sensor

sie625

I am looking for recommendations on non-contact liquid level measurement(close range <6" dead band, and at least .125" sensitivity). The sensor needs to be mounted in a hazardous area, which is where i start running into problems finding something suitable.

We also require 4-20 output so point level will not work. If anyone has had a good experience with this type of sensor i would appreciate hearing about it.

I don't know of any sensor off hand that would work, but I have used standard 4-20mA loop powered transducers in Class I, Div II areas with an intrinsically safe current repeater. The one I use is made by Turck. I think the part number was MK33-Li-24VDC or something like that. You could look on there web site. Maybe that would work with a sensor that meets you specs but isn't hazordous rated itself. If the sensor is not loop powered then you would have to use an intrinsically safe power supply as well (I think... you would need to double check this as I have not actually done that before). Hope this helps...

Kyle

I looked at some from GEM this morning, the one you recommended has fixed ranges of 6 or 12' and because we are only looking at about a 2" range we are looking for a teach function that will spread the 4-20mA across the 2-3" range rather than the full 6' The UCL-200 offers this, but only with a 2"NPT which is bigger than they want to put in.

Now its time for the bonehead question. As was referenced in a previous post, can i just use any sensor that i want as long as i use an approved I.S. barrier? I must admit that i have no clue about any of this type of thing, i had a nice sensor picked out from banner, then someone said that it was goig into a hazardous location and i started the search over. It's alright to use this banner sensor with the barrier mentioned a few posts up? Nothing is going to blow up?

Thanx for all the help.

sie625 said:
can i just use any sensor that i want as long as i use an approved I.S. barrier? QUOTE]

No, you cannot use just any sensor. If the sensor goes into a hazardous area (Class 1, Div 1 in the US) then your sensor needs to be either explosion proof or Intrinsically safe. Explosion Proof wiring is spec'd in the electrical code.

Instrinsic safety is achieved by a certification that the device is designed instrinsically safe, meaning its power useage and power storage falls under certain limits, and that an intrinsic safety barrier is used to prevent electrical faults in the safe area from getting into the hazardous area through the wiring which could create an arcing sparking ignition source.

So stick with something rated I/S or EXP, if the device is in a hazardous area.

As an example of sensors, I've used Milltronics (now Siemens) ultrasonics, and Milltronics' PROBE has 2 models - the regular one can shoot a longer distance because its energy is not limited. The I/S model PROBE doesn't shoot as far or update as often, because of energy restrictions designed into it. I have to use an I/S barrier with the I/S PROBE. PROBE won't work for you though, it has a 10" or 11" dead zone or blanking zone.

Dan