HMI Uploading/Downloading problem

oirene

Hi PLC Wizards!

I am new with PLC. And currently I'm having a problem with uploading/downloding of my HMI program. We are using quickpanel jr. 10.5" and using quickdesigner software version 3.7. And using HMI-CAB-C49/G prorgramming cable. When I am uploading/downloading my HMI program to the quickpanel jr. device, in the message column will tell me " device not ready " and eventually will prompt " device hung ". I tried to shutoff the quickpanel jr. power. The message column will prompt " device off ---> turn on power ". When I turn on the power back, I will be prompted again with " device not ready ". I pretty sure that my programming software and cable is fine since I can do the uploading/downloading with another device.

I hope I am asking the right forum and hoping someone out there can help me with my problem.What could be the possible causes and possible solutions ( if there is any )?

Thanks and best regards!

oirene

I've never seen a quickpanel jr but in my experience with other HMI's I have a couple of suggestions...

Firstly, make sure the HMI is in 'transfer' mode if needed. Again I'll reiterate that I've never seen a quickpanel but some HMI's require you put them in a certain 'mode' before they'll accept an upload.

Secondly, you say your lead is ok cos you have connected to another "device".. is that device the same type of HMI as the one you are having the problem with??

"Device not ready" sounds like it could possibly be .. either a faulty device or an HMi that has no program in it whatsoever.

Could you give us more info.. ie. have you programmed this device before.. was it working with a program in it and now you can't get online.. has the lead been tested with an identical device.. have you uploaded to these devices before (ie. your sure you are following the correct procedure) ??

Oirene,

What are you trying to do, Upload or Download? Depending on version of the software, You couldn't upload or if newer software, you didn't enable that ability. Even the model number depends on procedures to download or the ability to upload. How far do you get in the beginning of the upload/download? Let us know the the first 5 or 6 characters of the Quickpanel model number. You also said quickpanel Jr, 10 inch, I believe the Juniors were 6 inch.

George

When I had a similar problem with the Quickpanel I found that part of RSLinx (AB Communication) was running as a service. I had to kill that. Shut off power to the Quickpanel, reboot the computer, then bring up power to the Quickpanel. Make sure you have the proper communication port selected at the download. Hope this helps.

I have seen a similar problem when trying to do serial port download via my Socket I/O serial card.

If Ethernet download (my preference) is not an option, try to find a computer with a real serial port, not PCMCIA or USB type (yea, it's not easy these days).

And see if Pro-face ProDesigner 4 is a better software for you (it is very sweet, but may lack all the communication drivers at this time)

I have no experience with QuickPanel, but I have a similar problem when I was trying to get online with AB's PanelView 1000 which has 2 communication port (i.e. DH+ and Serial). I got the problem solved when I disconnected the DH+ Network and get online with Serial from my computer.

If you find that QuickPanel has the other communication port beside Serial, you can try to disconnect the other communication port and let your QuickPanel only connected to your computer.

When I had a similar problem with the Quickpanel I found that part of RSLinx (AB Communication) was running as a service. I had to kill that. Shut off power to the Quickpanel, reboot the computer, then bring up power to the Quickpanel.
Absolute pain is it not?

LadderLogic said:
Yea, but it works fine on my laptop (XP SP2). Except the problem I have described above.
Exactly.
If it were compatable, you would not be having the problem described above.

Hi Guys!

I still have the same problem. I can't upload the existing program in the quickpanel 10.5" ( not quickpanel jr. ).I said in my previous post that I am pretty sure that my programming software and cable is functioning well because I can do the upload with another device having the same model and part number. And yes, I am using the same programming software version 3.7.My quickpanel device model no. is QPI-ABR-201 with part no. QPI31200C2P Series A.

Lately, I tried to use another laptop with the same programming software version 3.7. Somehow, it started to upload as indicated int the event log. But as soon as the uploading is about to have 100% upload status, uploading would suddenly stop and event log message pops up like this " Uploading Aborted-- Bad Checksum Characters received".

Again, I am hoping somebody out there can help me out with this. What are the possible causes and possible solutions ( if there is any ).

Bernie, I tried what you suggested but to no avail, I still have the same problem. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion posted.