Problems with uploading to PICO / Easy

latent_genius

The what:
I have an AB Pico 1760L 18BWB-EX, series A and have downloaded and installed PICOSOFT 6.10 Build 2433. This is running on Win XP Sp2 on a Toshiba M40 laptop. The serial port comes from a USB docking station, and has worked flawlessly on several other devices.

The Problem
I can download the existing PLC program to the laptop, and change the PLC time and other housekeeping tasks, and even delete the program on the PLC. However it will not upload to the PLC. It just stalls with the error message #######. So I'm left with a PLC with no program. It also seems to drop the link after completing a task (eg download program) and then requires the PLC to be turned off and on again.

The workaround
I guessed that the older version of PICOSOFT 3.0 might work, so I downloaded it and used it on the same computer. It was able to upload, download and complete all other tasks. HOWEVER, Picosoft 6.10 will not "Save As" *.eas (ver 3.0) so that I can take my existing programs and upload them. Before I re-enter a couple of hundred lines of code and comments, can anyone tell me:
1. Should Picosoft 6.10 work with Series A devices? If yes, then are there any special settings or sequence of operations?
2. Is there a conversion from *.ea6 to *.eas (ie from ver 6.1 down to 3.0)
3. Last Resort... Is there anyone who has both versions of the software (6.10 and 3.0) and a Series B device, who can upload my program using 6.10, and download using 3.0 to make the conversion?

I am an experienced computer user and have checked what I know, but maybe I overlooked something. Please feel free to suggest anything that might have been missed.

Thanks,
Richard
a.k.a. latent_genius

The latency of my genius knows no bounds......

We have found the Easy (Moeller's own brand name of smart relay) to be particularly fussy as to which USB to Serial converter we use. Even among one brand of USB to Serial converter, one model will work and another won't. However, once we find one that works is will always work (barring the usual Windoze issues).

I am not familiar with AB's software but in the Moeller version, there are different comm settings for different smart relays, maybe you have the device set wrong and somethign is timing out improperly? Just a guess.

Open control panel -> System -> hardware profile -> properties and then right click on each of the USB root hubs, pick properties, and uncheck the "allow windows to turn of port to save power" box.

Solution found!
The problem appears to be a bug in the PICOSOFT program. If "P" inputs are used (ie push button) then the setting under the PROJECT page must be for push buttons to be "ON" in order to run simulations or upload the program. On the PICO, a program can utilise Push Buttons, and the Push Buttons can be disabled (but not apparently in the simulation program!).

This explains the cryptic error message I was getting.
"P Buttons: Off"
It looked like it was reporting a system setting, and I knew they were off, (I thought I tried turning them on - but can't confirm that).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Richard
a.k.a. latent_genius

The latency of my genius knows no bounds......