Will I be able to handle PLC Programming?

JJJENNNNN

Hi,
I graduated from college about a year ago with both my Computer Programmer Analyst diploma and Computer Systems Networking Technican one. Unfortunately, there are not very many jobs for computer programmers in my area. There are however many places looking for PLC programmers. An engineering student friend of mine suggested years back that I should go into this and I am just considering it now. I really would like to enroll this fall in a nightschool PLC program at the college I went to, but am unsure of whether or not I will be good at it. I have never worked with PLCs at all. I took an electronics course in highschool and loved it, but that is about as close as I have to any sort of related knowledge. Will my computer programming background give me any advantage at ALL? Is this a good direction for me to take? I've received mixed input, but none from anyone in the field. Any advice on the matter would help me a great deal in making my decision. Thanks,
--- Jen

The job market must be a lot different in your area. Seems to be a bigger demand for computer jockeys in the Chicago midwest region.

Many companoes are looking for embedded programmers with C, C+, and C++.

In general, with ladder logic, computer programming may be of some bennefit, but a good understanding of electrical operations with blueprint reading is much more useful.

I had over 15 years of drawing relay logic when I started with PLC's. I still contend that there is not much difference between the two.

If you have good analytical skills, understand logic, and understand or can learn electrical theory, then you shouldn't have any problems.

To those who question electrical theory... NOT the flow a protron or electron but switching, and, or nor, nand, etc.

regards all.....casey

Yeah, very few programming jobs in Windsor. For Windsor/Detroit, the automotive industry is where it's at, and there are lots of parts factories and automotive assembly plants looking for people who can do this stuff.

Thank you, that is some good advice. I consider myself a pretty logical/analytical thinker and don't think I should have much problem understanding electrical theory.

To some extent problem solving is problem solving. You can probably handle PLC programming if:

You are logical and organized in your thinking
You can frame a question properly so it is not ambiguous
You have a lot of patience
You understand basic electrical theory - Ohm's law for example
You are willing to bust your butt and don't quit until you beat the problem
You understand basic physics and mechanics
You can cut and strip and terminate wires
You know how to use a meter to read current and voltage

If you don't have these skills, but you think you can acquire them, then get a job as a trainee so you can pick them up.

Last edited:
Some mechanical knowledge is helpfull too. My ten years as a machinist/toolmaker/bench hand assembling machines, continues to benefit me when it comes to troubleshooting.

Last edited:
And if you are willing to get greasy while finding the dang-blasted problem.

It amazes me that shop owners don't believe you are working unless you get dirty?!?

Rod

JJJENNNNN,

Before I ever heard of PLCs, I studied Computer Design in college. Of course that was back before PLCs were even invented! I have found it interesting that the microprocessor in PLCs is only a small sub-set of the parts in larger computers. I think your background WILL be a big help. It should give you a head start, but there are a lot of other things that you will not know. If you learned computer programming, then PLC programming should be easy to learn. The part that will be different is all the auxiliary devices that are necessary to make a PLC system work.

I know that NARMCO is a big employer in Windsor. I toured several of the NARMCO plants in Windsor about 2 years ago, as part of one of their expansion projects. I met many PLC programmers and robot technicians at NARMCO. That would be a good company for you to tour to find out the demand for PLC programmers.

JJJENNNNN said:
Hi,
I graduated from college about a year ago with both my Computer Programmer Analyst diploma and Computer Systems Networking Technican one.

If your proficent in programming (any language), your likely to pick up PLCs pretty quickly. I'd bet you've had a class or two something like Boolen 101...So you're well on your way. However what you might want to do is take some classes in electrical & electronics componets. With PLCs & automation, It's not ALL just about programming.

Jen,

Considering your recent education, probably the biggest hurdle for you to overcome in understanding PLC programming is understanding that PLC's are more procedural in code execution as opposed to the object-oriented nature of the current languages like C++, Java, etc. If you had a good instructor, hopefully he/she required you to write a few programs the "old" way (procedure driven, perhaps even an old DOS program like a calculator), and then made you streamline and improve those by creating object-oriented versions of the same program. While some of the newer PLC's are able to handle coding that may seem(and it is really a stretch) object-oriented, I think it is highly doubtful that true object-oriented programming will ever be realized in a PLC because of the structure and allocation of memory.

I agree with the advice given by Tom and the others regarding getting some good hands on experience, but you should make sure you understand the physical aspects of a PLC like the memory structure, program scans, and any other characteristics that will make a difference in how you think when creating your code.

Good Luck,
Jeff

Just to expand on Jeff's comments, the other thing that you have get used to when coming from an interrupt driven world is the cyclical nature of program execution. Even after getting on for five years, I'm still not entirely comfortable with it. The other thing that will kill you, if you're used to planning a program as a flow chart and then writing your program as simply a more detailed version of that flow-chart - forget it, it doesn't work, this is where the cyclical nature of the beast bites you again. On the top models most of the manufacturers offer higher level programs which will let you work around this problem to a greater or lesser degree, but down there at ladder level it's a whole different world!

Don't let this worry you though, the key point is whether or not you can think logically and with your degree you've already proved this. It's just a bit different, but it's very satisfying! Welcome on board!

Have you considered trying a different area??

Jen,

I agree with everyone else(especially Tom) in regards to your background. You have the programing background, but maybe need the electrical background. Can you transfer your existing credits to fast track through an electrical technican or technologist course???

In regards to your job hunting, you probably have done this buthave you only tried looking for work only in the Windsor area?? Doesn't Sarnia have a big Petro industry?? What about the new Toyota plant going into Woodstock?? Cambrige has lots of companies, both technology and manufacturing. There seems to be jobs in the GTA area according to Workopolis last time I saw.

Good luck!!

Andrew

Hmmmmm

panic mode said:
No, you have doubts before trying it out... :rolleyes:

Panic Mode.......with all due respect......I am a newbie here but......not everywhere, but with that said.......

I disagree with ya panic mode...........that is simply an OPEN honest question seeking advice from some more experienced PLC techs..........it has nothing to do with her confidence. I have PC background also.........and she has proven that she can think "logical"......that is what it is all about. Process of elimination through logical thinking, and with her creditials.........she has proven that she can really think ! Should not be a problem for her at all.

Good Luck Jen.........and "Yes" you can do this !

Raven