AD GS1 Drive Problems

zmanvortex

We are using an AutomationDirect GS1-10P5 1/2hp drive that takes 120vac input and outputs 230vac 3ph. We have one customer that says the drive had sparks and smoke come out of it when they powered it up. We had their electrician check all the voltages which checked out ok. We sent them another drive and the same thing happened to it when they applied power to the machine. I called AD support and here is what they told me.

"On our GS1 1/2hp models there is the possibility of a 150A inrush current while charging the dc bus, if there is a good capacitance transformer supplying the power to the drive. After repeated high current charging the drive can possibly fail. Our new GS2 120vac in 3ph out models have a soft charge feature which eliminates this possibility."

Has anyone else had this problem?